business hours?

Outliers

korean
I think I can say "What are your business hours?" at a mart or restaurant.

But how can I say at a library? because I think they don't actually do business.

What are your operating hours? I can say "What time are you open and close?" but I want to know a different way to say.

Thank you.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You can ask "What are your hours?"
    That would work for almost any place of business or institution that offers a public service.

dadane

English (London/Essex)
    Wouldn't you then have to ask "What are your closing hours?"?

"What are your hours?" is just fine the way it is.
    "What are your opening hours"? is what I would say; it has a very different meaning to "What is your opening time"?

If I asked a stranger "What are your hours"? I would expect to be told to mind my own business.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Well, I wasn't proposing walking up to strangers on the street. I was saying that this is the question I would ask someone who was in a position to answer questions about the place employed them, whether they were standing behind a counter or answering the phone.

I take it, however, that I should not use this formulation in New Zealand or the UK.

dadane

English (London/Essex)
    I was exaggerating slightly, Cagey.

It's just that "What are your hours"? is often a set question meaning "What hours do you personally work"? "What are your opening hours"? is just the normal BE way of phrasing the question in hand, there is no ambiguity. Taking of my BE ears for a moment and putting on my NZE ones, I don't think it would be a problem here.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Outliers. :)

By the way, what do "BE" and "NZE" stand for?
    British English (also BrE), New Zealand English. And I speak AE or AmE, American English. Some spellings are different, and there are also some different expressions, usages, and slang.

Linkway

British English
    Welcome to the forum, Outliers. :)

British English (also BrE), New Zealand English. And I speak AE or AmE, American English. Some spellings are different, and there are also some different expressions, usages, and slang.
    ... and grammar
    ... and punctuation!

Egmont

English - U.S.
    If you're in the library, which is the situation in the first post, you already know they're open. You don't care when they opened. You know they opened before you arrived. That's enough.

That being the case, I'd ask "What time do you close?"

If you're asking about a different day, I'd ask "What hours are you open tomorrow/Thursday/etc.?" In the case of a library, that would be important because most libraries (in my experience) have different hours on different days.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    If you're asking about a different day, I'd ask "What hours are you open tomorrow/Thursday/etc.?" In the case of a library, that would be important because most libraries (in my experience) have different hours on different days.
    I would expect all of those to be covered in the answer to my question.

"What hours are you open?"
    "Nine to nine Monday through Thursday, nine to five-thirty on Friday, nine to five on Saturday, and - during the school year only - nine to five on Sunday."

And don't get me started on the idea of their closing early on Friday evenings....

< Previous | Next >