businesses and stores

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

There are more than 100 businesses and stores in the mall.

I made up the sentence. I'd like "businesses" to mean entities offering services as distinct from "stores" which sell items like food, books or appliances.
Do I use the terms correctly?

I would appreciate any comments.

• morior_invictus

Slovak
    Hello wanabee,

could you, please, provide us with the definitions (of a business and store) on the basis of which you formed this wrong conclusion?

wanabee

Japanese
    Thank you very much, morior_invictus!

From Wikipedia:
    A business (also known as enterprise or firm) is an organization involved in the trade of goods, services, or both to consumers

If you google "businesses and stores", you'll get many hits. So, first I thought the phrase is in common use.
    Since many stores are run by businesses, I found it strange that the two words are placed side by side (businesses and stores) in a sentence.
    Then I speculated that there might be a special meaning for each word in this set phrase; stores might mean buildings which sell goods and businesses do the other things including offering services to customers.

I know that's not very logical thinking, but that's what I thought.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    1) A store is a building or part of a building where things are sold. In British English, store is used mainly to refer to a large shop selling a variety of goods, but in American English a store can be any size of shop.
    3) A business is an organization which produces and sells goods or which provides a service

(Collins Cobuild)
    :)

wanabee

Japanese
    Thank you very much, VikNikSor!

I'm still confused about how businesses and stores are related. At least, stores are often operated by businesses.
    Then does my sentence below make sense?:
    "There are more than 100 businesses and stores in this shopping mall."

Myridon

English - US
    A store is a type of business. A mall has many stores but it also has a few businesses of other types. The main purpose of the mall is to sell things so they would definitely want to say "stores" but they don't want to leave out the businesses of other types - services (for example, a beauty salon), restaurants, movie theaters, ...
    Your sentence makes perfect sense, but, to be a bit more accurate, "There are more than 100 stores and other businesses in this shopping mall."

Egmont

English - U.S.
    It's wrong because a store is a type of business. Therefore, the term businesses include stores as well as barbershops, restaurants, and whatever else is there..

You could write "There are more than 100 businesses in the shopping mall," "There are more than 100 stores and other businesses in the shopping mall," or any of several other variations that don't treat stores as if they are not businesses.

Packard

USA, English
    I think that most people associate shopping malls with retail stores. So if there are other types of businesses within the shopping mall I think it is appropriate to say "businesses and stores", the distinction is that it contains other businesses plus retail stores.

A local mall has several shoe stores, a Sears store and a Macy's plus many other clothing stores and eye glass stores. But it also has an optometrist (for eye exams), a tax preparer, several cell phone service providers, a Post Office, and a town police precinct. These other businesses could not be called "stores", and yes all of the stores could be called businesses. But to call them all "businesses" would blur the distinction.

Joe: I need to see a chiropractor.

Mary: There is one at the Simon Mall.

Joe: Really? I thought there were only stores there.

Mary: No. They have several businesses there too.

morior_invictus

Slovak
    A store is a type of business. A mall has many stores but it also has a few businesses of other types. ..."There are more than 100 stores and other businesses in this shopping mall."
    It's wrong because a store is a type of business. Therefore, the term businesses include stores as well as barbershops, restaurants, and whatever else is there..
    You could write "There are more than 100 businesses in the shopping mall," "There are more than 100 stores and other businesses in the shopping mall,"
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

In this case, a business may refer either to an entity (corporation, sole proprietorship, etc.) or to a specific industry / economic activity (financial businesses / service businesses, etc. - for more information, see NAICS classification of businesses for North America or NACE for the EU).
    Thus, a store / office / factory etc. (business as an entity) is a place where a business (business as an activity) is carried on. Typical shopping malls (in the U.S., there are also an open-air centers as a second type of shopping centers - for more information, see ICSC shopping center classification) have department stores (so-called anchors) with several departments (women`s clothing, jewelry, cosmetics, etc.), specialty stores selling a particular type of goods (shoe store, cosmetics store, bookstore, pet store, etc.) and other businesses (food courts, kiosks, etc.). Therefore I agree with Myridon`s and Egmont`s corrections.

Sources used:

DELISLE, J.R. 2005. U.S. Shopping Center Classifications: Challenges and opportunities. In Research Review Journal [online]. 2005, vol. 12, no. 2, p. 96-101 [cit. 2013-04-26]. Available from: <http://jrdelisle.com/research/US%20Classifications.pdf>.
    NACE: List of NACE codes [online]. [cit. 2013-04-26]. Available from: <http://ec.europa.eu/competition/mergers/cases/index/nace_all.html>.
    NAICS: NAICS codes by industry [online]. [cit. 2013-04-26]. Available from: <http://www.naics.com/search.htm>.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >