Businesses joining the programme too benefited

< Previous | Next >

Square100

Vietnamese
Businesses joining the programme too benefited, not only by being able to promote their products but also getting preferential loans, she added.

Source: "Social network comments to be regulated", Vietnam News.

Is the bold phrase written correctly?
Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    I would use "also" for "too," which is a bit odd. But I see another "also" later in the sentence, so perhaps the author decided not to repeat a word ... a common fear among non-native English speakers.

But I also see "she added," so perhaps this is a transcription of speech ... if it is, I can say that we often don't say exactly what we might write when you have time to review things.

Square100

Vietnamese
    Thank you.
    You are right. This is a transciption of speech. However, I am still confused about the word "benefited".
    Is it a main verb there?
    Shouldn't it be "Businesses joining the programme are also benefited from..."?

anthox

English - Northeast US
    Thank you.
    You are right. This is a transciption of speech. However, I am still confused about the word "benefited".
    Is it a main verb there?
    Shouldn't it be "Businesses joining the programme are also benefited from..."?
    Yes, "benefited" is the main verb. If you remove the adjectival phrase "joining the programme," you'll be left with "Businesses...also benefited [.]"

"Businesses are benefited from..." is ungrammatical.

Square100

Vietnamese
    Thanks. I don't think I understand it well.

Could you explain why the sentence is ungrammatical?
    Businesses = companies
    Businesses are benefited from the program.
    Here businesses is the one that get the benefit rather than benefit someone.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The verb 'benefit' is intransitive in this sentence, so it is not correct to say that 'business are benefited'.

You could construct an alternative sentence in which the programme also benefits the companies that joined ... but it sounds very contrived and also changes the meaning slightly,

< Previous | Next >