Bust Card

fronteritas

Spanish
I think I know what "bust card" means, but I am looking to see if anyone in this forum can help me with a clear definition. This are the type of wallet-size cards some people carry in case they are detained/arrested by police. Is there any other way you can say "bust card"? Thanks.

This is the origanl phrase:

"The Photographer’s Right is a downloadable guide that is loosely based on the Bust Card and the Know Your Rights pamphlet."

• teksch

English - American
    That is interesting. What does the "Bust card" do for you when you are detained by the police? The only meaning I have heard for "Bust card" is that it is the card (in a card game called 21 or blackjack) that, when added to your other cards, adds up to more than 21.

fronteritas

Spanish
    According to the creators of this card, the bust card purpose is "to give you quick access to your rights and obligations concerning confrontations over photography." I'd give you the link but I'm a new user and not able to post links yet; (you can copy and paste the above phrase in italics to acces the page to read more) - If I can find out what the bust card does in the card games it may give me a clue. Thanks for replying.

teksch

English - American
    The card game has nothing to do with this. To be busted (informal) is to be taken by the police or someone in authority. This phrase become popular in the US in the late 1950s and 1960s. My parents busted me for staying out too late.

< Previous | Next >