Bustling vs burbling

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
I wonder if I could correctly use any of the two gerunds in the following sentence,meaning the water ran (jumping) with mighty flow: "In the monastic orchards, splendid boulevards rose, full of sculptural works in the Versailles style, labyrinths of scented myrtle, and Andalusian gardens with Moorish style fountains, bustling cascades and hidden caves". Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.
  • Keith Bradford

    Senior Member
    English (Midlands UK)
    Bustling could be used of water, but it usually refers to people in a hurry to get to their next appointment.
    Burbling certainly can be used of water, and refers to the bubbling sound it makes.

    Take your pick.


    Senior Member
    English - Southern England
    Neither really work. Bustling means busy/energetic but applies more to people than waterfalls and burbling means bubbling gently, neither of which reflect a "mighty flow"
    You could use "thundering" or "roaring" "gushing" "tumbling"


    Senior Member
    English - British
    Bustling tends to be used for crowds of people or perhaps things that rustle and jostle against each other in large groups. Burbling derives from the gentle sound of indistinct or incoherent speech like babies, so by association it is used of the sound of water and other liquid images.
    < Previous | Next >