Busy to what extent

Dr.Appalayya

India;Telugu
Situation:

I want to ask a barber, to what extent he is busy in his salon. I want to know to what he and helpers are occupied. The answer will only indicate how much of his capacity is being utilised? He is usually busy in traditional festive seasons and less busy in non-festive seasons? Similarly, he is busy in beginning of the month and less busy or free in the later part o the month.

Query:

How to ask a question to elicit a response about his level of (being occupied)being busy?

• Situation:

I want to ask a barber, to what extent he is busy in his salon. I want to know to what he and helpers are occupied. The answer will only indicate how much of his capacity is being utilised? He is usually busy in traditional festive seasons and less busy in non-festive seasons? Similarly, he is busy in beginning of the month and less busy or free in the later part o the month.

Query:

How to ask a question to elicit a response about his level of (being occupied)being busy?

Hi Dr. A.

"Please tell me about your busiest and quieter periods."

LRV

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Look at how you put the question here and then think about what to ask the barber. You needed several sentences to explain the question, of course. And you would probably have to ask the barber sebveral questions too.

I want to ask a barber, to what extent he is busy in his salon.
    Are you busy?
    How's business?

I want to know to what he and helpers are occupied. The answer will only indicate how much of his capacity is being utilised? He is usually busy in traditional festive seasons and less busy in non-festive seasons?
    Are you busier in the traditional festive seasons?

Similarly, he is busy in beginning of the month and less busy or free in the later part o the month.
    Is there a busy time of the month?

In other words, all you need to do is to ask a question, listen to the answer, then follow up with more questions. Turn your "how do I ask" questions into a series of questions to the barber.