But actual true-blue friendship that <transcends> job titles?

Irelia20150604

Chinese
Source:3 Reasons Workplace Friendships Are A Lie

When people, especially my fellow "yootz of today," talk about being friends with their coworkers, I usually roll my eyes. In 99.9% of cases (the other 0.1% being those of you who met your BFFs when you were both camp counselors at Lupin Lake in 1996), they’re not really talking about forging lifelong bonds; they mean getting along with their cube mates, joking around, maybe going out for beers. "Friends" vs. Friends. Buddying up is fine. Socializing is totally doable. But actual true-blue friendship that transcends job titles?
==
Hi everyone! How to understand "transcend" here?

• se16teddy

English - England
    I suppose the problem here is to define exactly what "job titles" symbolize. Maybe proper friendship that goes beyond fulfilling the roles that we are expected to play with colleagues.

Orble

Australian English
    Yes, I agree that transcend here means “goes beyond” (as se16teddy says) even “goes completely beyond”. Transcend has the sense of “reaching a new level”.

As an aside, I think of “true blue” as an Australian expression meaning authentic. We use it idiomatically in the expression “true blue Aussie” to mean a “real” or archetypal Australian. I was surprised to read it here in a different context but with roughly the same meaning.

< Previous | Next >