...but also economically

roseruf

Spain (en alguna carretera catalana); Spanish and Catalan
Hi,
I'm having problems with the grammar of this sentence:
"And this project is not only challenging at a scientific level, but also economically."
Is this correct? Or should it be:
And this project is not only challenging at a scientific level, but also the economic level" ?

Any suggestion? I don't know why but it keeps seeming odd to me...

Thank you very much

R.

• EStjarn

Spanish
    The thing about 'not only ... but also' statements is that one has to make an effort to insert the first correlative conjunction in the correct position. I think in your sentence the emphasis falls on challenging, making the succeeding phrase inconsistent with the rest:
    And this project is not only challenging at a scientific level, but also economically.
    I believe 'not only' should be shifted forward so that 'at a scientific level' is emphasized:
    And this project is challenging not only at a scientific level, but also at an economic.
    Or as suggested by Pamelita73, which I think is an improvement:
    And this project is challenging not only at a scientific level, but also from an economic standpoint.

(As a reference I give the thread we need change to not only make the school a better place, from which I picked up this fine point of English usage.)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    That's right. 'Not only X but also Y' sounds much better when X and Y have the same function. They don't have to be exactly parallel (e.g. two adverbs 'not only scientifically but also economically), as different classes can perform the same function: 'not only at a scientific level but also economically', where both underlined parts describe how it's challenging.

< Previous | Next >