...but although he was only 22, he was a person who had a great mission.

< Previous | Next >

Karen123456

Malaysia English
In ancient Japan, people came of age at 15 years old. Some of you may think that Nanjo was too young but although he was only 22, he was a person who had a great mission.

The above is from a Buddhist magazine.

Is but although correctly used in the above sentence?

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Loob

English UK
    Yes - what makes you think it's wrong, Karen?

You might find it easier to see if you change the order of the clauses: but he was a person who had a great mission, although he was only 22.

sound shift

English - England
    Yes, but some people might prefer to see an extra comma: "but, although he was only 22, ...". I'm not sure I understand the logic here though: If people came of age at 15, why would Nanjo seem too young when he was 22?

Karen123456

Malaysia English
    Yes - what makes you think it's wrong, Karen?

You might find it easier to see if you change the order of the clauses: but he was a person who had a great mission, although he was only 22.
    Thanks, Loob.

I was thinking that but and though cannot be used together. For example, Although he is clever, but he is lazy. So I was wondering, in the sentence I first posted, whether but and although can be used together.

Loob

English UK
    They're not really being used "together", Karen - see sound shift's answer. The smaller clause 'although he was only 22' is embedded within the bigger clause 'but ... he was a person who had a great mission'.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >