but as quickly I turned

enkidu68

turkish
Hi folks, this is cited from Wellingborough Redburn by Hermann Melville (1849)
Question: It does not follow another as after “but as quickly I turned” like as quick as, so was his “lingering” as quick as his actions –bowing, thanking, turning- about going

She handed me the buttered muffins, too, as if performing a final act of hospitality; and in other fidgety ways vaguely hinted her desire that I should decamp.
Slowly I rose, and murmured my thanks, and bowed, and tried to be off; but as quickly I turned, and bowed, and thanked, and lingered again and again.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think that he is trying to leave, but just as quickly, he turned back toward her and repeated the courtesies associated with leaving. In this way he stayed longer instead of leaving.

It's not a use of 'quickly' that I would expect in current English writing.

enkidu68

turkish
    Next ones go like this:
    Oh, charmers! oh, Peris! thought I, must I go? Yes, Wellingborough, you must; so I made one desperate congee, and darted through the door.

sampathronjay

Sinhala
    Next ones go like this:
    Oh, charmers! oh, Peris! thought I, must I go? Yes, Wellingborough, you must; so I made one desperate congee, and darted through the door.

Please give a considerable length of a text properly otherwise we can't understand.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I see "I..tried to be off, but as quickly I turned..." as meaning something like "I...tried to be off, but no sooner had I done so than I turned...".

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Slowly I rose, and murmured my thanks, and bowed, and tried to be off; but as quickly I turned, and bowed, and thanked, and lingered again and again.
    I rose slowly...but turned as quickly In other words, I rose rather slowly... and then I turned rather quickly.

< Previous | Next >