but especially for the former president, ...

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
The ceremony was set for 6 p.m., and Mr. Rafanelli said the Clintons were “pretty close” to being on time — a rare occurrence for many bridal parties but especially for the former president, who runs on “Clinton time,” which is chronically late. ---taken from the NYT

Dear all,

I have trouble understanding the bold part. I suspect it means almost being late is a especially rare occurrence for Mr. Clintion and he is used to being late. :( My explanation sounds illogical. Could you please explain it to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• owlman5

English-US
    Being late is a very common thing for Mr. Clinton to do. He is "chronically late" because he rarely shows up on time when he is scheduled for something.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Being late is a very common thing for Mr. Clinton to do. He is "chronically late" because he rarely shows up on time when he is scheduled for something.
    Thank you, owlman5.:)

But I am still confused about the following part
    ...a rare occurrence for many bridal parties but especially for the former president
    What does "but especially" means here?

owlman5

English-US
    This means that while it is rare for people to show up on time at many bridal parties, it is particularly rare for Mr. Clinton to show up on time because he is chronically late.

LQZ

Mandarin
    This means that while it is rare for people to show up on time at many bridal parties, it is particularly rare for Mr. Clinton to show up on time because he is chronically late.
    I've got it. Thank you so much, owlman5. :)

< Previous | Next >