but 'fails' in resisting a stick of ice-cream [fails?]

< Previous | Next >

bl4ckdr4g00n

Vietnamese
"My parents created a creature with the power of resisting a hot chick, but fails in resisting a stick of ice-cream"

I and my wife are having a debate about the correctness of this sentence.
My wife argues that using "fails" in this case is incorrect. But I think it's acceptable to use this sentence in both formal and informal situations.
Is the sentence above grammatically correct or incorrect?

• owlman5

English-US
    I'd accept your sentence if you added one little word, bl4ckdr4g00n: ..., but who fails in resisting a stick of ice cream.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    It's incorrect, but obviously understandable. You're missing a word:

My parents created a creature with the power of resisting a hot chick, but who fails in resisting a stick of ice-cream.

Without the "who," the verb "fails" has no subject. There are obviously other ways to say this:

My parents created a creature capable of resisting a hot chick, but incapable of resisting a stick of ice-cream.
    My parents created a creature who can resist a hot chick, but not a stick of ice-cream.
    My parents created a creature with the power to resist a hot chick, but not (the power to resist) a stick of ice-cream.
    etc.

In these examples, you see that the forms before and after the comma are parallel, so it's easier to balance the sentence.

Also, hi!

boozer

Bulgarian
    Well, this creature is a human being, right? This is why our friends are suggesting adding who.

However, to enhance the enigmatic effect, I would add that instead of who. :)

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Thank you guys
    so... omitting "who" or "that" after "but" in this case is unacceptable?
    Yes. The verb needs a subject. Otherwise, you're changing the grammatical structure of the sentence in the middle of the sentence, which is too distracting for the listener for the sentence to work.

< Previous | Next >