But folks talk so much, of course there was a boom during the war

vkhu

Vietnamese
But everybody says it’s a shame something can’t be started, to keep the men going a bit better, and employ the girls. All the girls traipsing off to Sheffield every day! My word, it would be something to talk about if Tevershall Collieries took a new lease of life, after everybody saying they’re finished, and a sinking ship, and the men ought to leave them like rats leave a sinking ship. But folks talk so much, of course there was a boom during the war. When Sir Geoffrey made a trust of himself and got the money safe for ever, somehow. So they say!
-Lady Chatterley’s Lover, by D. H. Lawrence

I have no idea what the sentence in bold is trying to convey. I can't figure out what the "folks talk so much" is supposed to mean here, that they praised the collieries in contrast to dissing it like right now, or that they have been dissing them since the beginning when there was still profits. And what's up with the "boom during the war"? That came out of nowhere, and doesn't even fit with its preceding phrase, much less all the other sentences.

• Myridon

English - US
    I'd say it's a comment on the fact that folks talk a lot about things whether or not there is really anything worth discussing.
    During the war, the need for coal increased, there was a economic boom at the colliery. The colliery was actually worth discussing.

se16teddy

English - England
    I suppose it means that there was a boom in coalmining in the war, and the town is comparatively short of work now, and people (especially unmarried women) have to go to other places to find work. People make too much of this inevitable (and very local) decline in prosperity.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    But everybody says it’s a shame something can’t be started, to keep the men going a bit better, and employ the girls. All the girls traipsing off to Sheffield every day! My word, it would be something to talk about if Tevershall Collieries took a new lease of life, after everybody saying they’re finished, and a sinking ship, and the men ought to leave them like rats leave a sinking ship.
    People are talking, suggesting that something should be done to get the collieries going again. And wouldn't it be great, something to talk about, if despite the general pessimism something positive were to happen.
    But folks talk so much, of course there was a boom during the war. When Sir Geoffrey made a trust of himself and got the money safe for ever, somehow. So they say!
    This optimistic speculation is not really justified. Sure, there was a boom during the war. Sir Geoffrey took advantage of that and made a lot of money, so they say. But the boom during the war was based on the peculiar economic circumstances of the time, and should not be taken to indicate there is a real possibility of a new lease of life for the collieries.

< Previous | Next >