but had nothing for the loan of him

enkidu68

turkish
Hi folks this is coming from Colonel Jack by Defoe.
Context: Colonel Jack'S elder step brother Captain Jack stole a horse etc... After that, he left Colonel Jack.
While considering what he will do, a man came to inn he stayed and said he could take his horse back upon such and such terms.
Can you make any comment on this bold one?

I was very glad of the occasion, and, in short, took security there of the person for delivering the horse safe and sound, and had 15s. sterling for the riding him. Upon this agreement, I gave order to leave the horse at the Falcon, at Puckeridge, and where I heard, many years after, that he was honestly left, and that the owner had him again, but had nothing for the loan of him.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Colonel Jack has just said "I had a secret resolution, if I had [ever] gone back to England, [I would] have restored him [ = the horse which I had hired] to the owner, at Puckeridge, by Ware. And so I should have wronged him of nothing but the use of him for so long a time;"

Thus: I heard, many years after, that he [the horse] was honestly left, and that the owner had him again, but the owner did not receive any money for hiring the horse to me.

(I live quite close to Puckeridge! I'll go and ask the owner if the horse is OK. :D)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    This is the Falcon pub:
    You will see it is now called "The Crown and Falcon"

< Previous | Next >