But I didn't feel much awkward to be with him any more.

Gunday

Korean
We had a lot of activities I hadn't done before.

First, we drew pictures on a handkerchief. It was so cool. The white handkerchief turned into an artwork. He and I didn't talk much though we were doing fine. But I didn't feel much awkward to be with him any more

In this passage, is the word 'but' unnatural?If so, what conjunction or linking word can be natural?

• tepatria

Canadian English

First, we drew pictures on a handkerchief. It was so cool. The white handkerchief turned into (a piece of art, or artwork with no article) an artwork. He and I didn't talk much though we were doing fine. But I didn't feel much awkward to be with him any more
    In this passage, is the word 'but' unnatural?If so, what conjunction or linking word can be natural?
    The part I highlighted does not sound right to me. Do you want to say "I no longer felt awkward being with him."? If so, I would not use a conjunction at all.
    Are you trying to say something else? Much awkward is not a good construction - very awkward being with him is better, but it depends on your context.

cirrus

UK English
    I agree it doesn't sound right. I would say something like I didn't feel so awkward and leave out the any more as it is redundant.

jamesjiao

New Zealand English and Mandarin Chinese

First, we drew pictures on a handkerchief. It was so cool. The white handkerchief turned into an artwork. He and I didn't talk much though we were doing fine. But I didn't feel much awkward to be with him any more

Regardless of how awkward the 'but' sentence sounds, may I suggest you not to use 'but' to begin any sentence at all? Stylistically, it's a really bad habit.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Note that removing the "any more" would only make sense if you used "so awkward," which suggests a comparison to a previous level of awkwardness. If you used "very awkward," which is idiomatic (unlike "much awkward," which sounds, well, very awkward), it would still make sense to include the "any more."

I wouldn't use "but" because there is no contrast between "we were doing fine" and a reduction in awkwardness. You could use "And," though.

Stylistically, I don't mind mind starting a sentence with "and" or "but," as long as you don't do it too many times in a text, which can be annoying or grating.

Dimcl

Canadian English

I would change your last sentence this way:

"It didn't feel awkward being with him anymore"

I disagree with Cirrus that you should remove "anymore" (all one word, by the way). It very succinctly tells us that you used to feel awkward with him.

I would also change your first sentence ie:

"We had did a lot of activities I hadn't done before"

I don't have a problem with "... turned into an artwork" although "a work of art" would be more commonly heard.

Never, never, never, start a sentence with "But".:)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Dimcl, never say never, never, never.

An excellent discussion of conjunctions at the start of a sentence can be found here.

The third post, by panjandrum, is excellent, and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

cirrus

UK English
    I disagree with Cirrus that you should remove "anymore" (all one word, by the way). It very succinctly tells us that you used to feel awkward with him.
    The point I was making is that if you feel less awkward it implies you did at least once before.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Dimcl, never say never, never, never.

An excellent discussion of conjunctions at the start of a sentence can be found here.

The third post, by panjandrum, is excellent, and I agree with it wholeheartedly.
    I do, as well, actually. Perhaps I should have elaborated... my (rather pedantic) advice was simply because the use of conjunctions at the beginning of a sentence can easily get out of hand and, for non-native speakers, tends to lead to the conclusion that it's okay to use any and all conjunctions at the start of a sentence. To my way of thinking, if it can be at all avoided, it should be, at least until a firm grasp on the language has been obtained.

Forero

I can't think of any conjunction that can join your last sentence to the rest of this paragraph as written. I am particularly confused by "though we were doing fine". How about "He and I didn't talk much, but I didn't feel so awkward with him anymore. We were doing fine."?

< Previous | Next >