But instead of going to the police the man registered as a [migrant]

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from: Error puts Chinese tourist in German migrant hostel - BBC News
Quotation:
A Chinese tourist spent nearly two weeks in a German migrant hostel after mistakenly applying for asylum when he actually wanted to report a theft.

German media say the 31-year-old backpacker, who spoke neither German nor English, underwent a medical check and his fingerprints were taken.

A Red Cross worker later found out that the man's wallet had been stolen in Stuttgart. But instead of going to the police the man registered as a migrant.
===
Hi everyone! I have a question about "migrant" here. Does it mean "refugee"? I know the two words are different, but Chinese news media all used the Chinese equivalent of "refugee" here. So I raised the question.

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hello Irelia, the problem with words like "migrant", "immigrant" and "refugee" is that in this increasingly politically correct world, some terms are "loaded" (with perceived or accepted meaning) - they imply value judgements about people, and it is difficult, in any case, to be precise about meaning. "Refugee" has a "technical" meaning and definition agreed by the United Nations, but the word is often used loosely. Here is the BBC's own explanation of how it uses the word:

A note on terminology: The BBC uses the term migrant to refer to all people on the move who have yet to complete the legal process of claiming asylum. This group includes people fleeing war-torn countries such as Syria, who are likely to be granted refugee status, as well as people who are seeking jobs and better lives, who governments are likely to rule are economic migrants. (source: BBC)

< Previous | Next >