but ish gebibbel, ... get a wrinkle

kahroba

Persian
I'm not sure if this is a proper question for the English Only Forum (it's not proper for the German Forum either)
I'd like to know if "getting a wrinkle" is part of an English idiom or what. Here's the context, taken from "1919" by John Dos Passos:
Time: 1919
Eveline and Paul are both Americans
"Let's go to your place instead of mine," she said. "I'm afraid of my concierge." "All right... it's awful little," said Paul, giggling. "But ish gebibbel, we should worry get a wrinkle."

Last edited:
  • ewie

English English
    Hello Karoba. Oh dear, I have absolutely no idea what all this might mean. That ish gebibbel sounds like gibberish; worrying ~ or, more specifically, frowning ~ a lot might possibly prematurely age a person ... give them wrinkles. But beyond that ~ no idea:confused:

kahroba

Persian
    Hi, Ewie
    I should explain here that Paul is a very unsophisticated "doughboy" who likes to socialize with more sophisticated people in Paris. He uses lots of French words in his own way like "cafay o lay" or "mutilays of la guerre" etc. Hence, "ish gebibbel".

kahroba

Persian
    Hmmm. It feels more like Yiddish than mangled French to me!
    I assume it's mangled German especially with a view to few paragraphs earlier:
    They studied the card a long while and finally with a funny sideways look at Paul, she suggested liebefraumilch. Paul got red, "I wish I had a liebe frau," he said. "Why, probably you have... one in every port," said Eveline.

lizzeymac

English - USA
    I also think it is Yiddish, though I'm not sure that's the proper spelling.
    While I've heard it used very often by neighbors and grandparents, I have no idea what it really means (I'm only a shiksa) it usually seems to be used to add emphasis of some kind.
    You might have more luck posting this question in the 'Other Languages' forum, I see answered posts about Yiddish there.
    http://forum.wordreference.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Growing in a home where Yiddish was one of the spoken languages, I was pretty sure that this is not Yiddish, but nonsense, and confirmed it here.

kahroba

Persian
    Growing in a home where Yiddish was one of the spoken languages, I was pretty sure that this is not Yiddish, but nonsense, and confirmed it here.
    Dear Nun-Translator
    I think you've shown the right track all right. Thanks for that.
    Now, assuming "ish gebibbel" is the same "ishkabibbel", how do you connect it with the rest of the sentence? I mean "...we should worry get a wrinkle."?

< Previous | Next >