but it was of no moment (?) since nobody asked to see it.

Hello,
I have to put one word in the gap in this sentence:

I had forgotten to take my identity card into the examination, but it was of no moment since nobody asked to see it.

The words to choose fro are: moment, matter, weight, mark, and seriousness. I think the word moment would be the best here. Would you, natives, agree with this?

• bbip

English GB
    that makes no sense in the sentence to me?!
    in formal english it would have to be "but it was of no moment since that anybody asked to see it" (that was to out2inch)

out2lnch

English-Canada
    that makes no sense in the sentence to me?!
    in formal english it would have to be "but it was of no moment since that anybody asked to see it" (that was to out2inch)
    Where did the 'that' come from? To me, it is perfectly fine provided the 'that' is removed. I can't say I've ever seen 'since that' used together.

bbip

English GB
    Are you seeing "since" as meaning "afterward" or "because"??
    I thought you meant afterwards as in formal English "it was of no moment since, that anybody asked to see it" i.e "nobody asked to see it afterwards"
    but in the original context "it was of no moment since nobody asked to see it" that makes a double negative which is not very formal English!

out2lnch

English-Canada
    'Since' is clearly equivalent to 'because' here.

I'll have to further disagree with your double negative statement. It was of no moment is an expression meaning 'it didn't matter', which is also negative. Replace that into the original sentence and you get:

I had forgotten to take my identity card into the examination, but it didn't matter since nobody asked to see it.

From what you're saying, there would still be a double negative and therefore be informal? Again, I disagree.

I'd like to see the example majlo found that supports this use.

Also, the sentence with the 'since, that' you gave makes no sense to me.

Edit: try Googling "of no moment, since" and then "of no moment since, that" and see what you come up with.

Loob

English UK
    Here's another vote for "of no moment" (and for definitely not adding 'that' after 'since'):)

bbip

English GB
    haha this is getting complicated! I can see where you are coming from, it depends where you put the emphasis on the sentence and ok if you can see moment as meaning "matter" then, yeah that can make sense. I've never heard of that meaning though.
    In the sentence that I gave I meant "at no moment since, did anyone ask to see it" with the 'time' meaning of since. I think this all would be a lot easier to explain in speech really - it's to do with how you say it!

Anyway I still stick with my answer of "seriousness" but I can see the other point of view.

moo bottle

England, English
    Personally, I would have thought that you would say "of no matter", that's what I think most people would say...

Loob

English UK
    Logically, yes, but I don't think we say that something is "of no matter". At least, not today...

moo bottle

England, English
    I agree, but I've never heard anyone say "of no moment", or any of the others, really. Perhaps, if I couldn't use "of no matter", I would use "of no seriousness", but I would be quite reluctant :D

out2lnch

English-Canada
    While I have heard/read 'of no moment', I can't say it's used very often, which makes me wonder why it would be put on an English test. Seems like there would be more important things to test.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Taking into account the structure of the initial sentence, I don't see that there is any realistic alternative to moment.
    It may seem overly formal, or somewhat archaic, but it fits perfectly into that structure. The alternatives don't.

Loob

English UK
    if you can see moment as meaning "matter" then, yeah that can make sense. I've never heard of that meaning though.
    I agree, but I've never heard anyone say "of no moment"
    "Of no moment" does exist, bbip and moo bottle, though it does sound old-fashioned.

I guess I've heard it and you haven't because I'm slightly somewhat considerably older than you both!:)

Rusak963

Polish
    Yo guys!! I have this problem. I came across this question:

I had forgotten to take my identity card into the examination, but it was of no............ since nobody asked to see it.

And the options:

moment
    matter
    weight
    mark
    seriousness

Which one fits best? I did some dictionary work but got even more confused. According to definitions from different sources those words could fit here. Can you help me??

< Previous | Next >