but more on that “almost” later

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
I don't understand "but more on that “almost” later." It appears to mean "but I will discuss more about it later." Yet it also seems to mean "'but more neutrinos will come immediately later." I am not sure.

There is somee nuance here that is beyond me.

The solar neutrino flux for us on Earth is about 65 billion neutrinos, passing through just one square centimeter of area on earth, every second. That’s a lot of neutrinos. And almost all of them pass right on through the earth and out the other side (but more on that “almost” later).

Source:Timeblimp

• owlman5

English-US
    The comment refers to the author's earlier statement: And almost all of them pass right on through... Apparently, the author intends to explain what "almost all of them" means later in the article.

much_rice

English - American
    Agreeing with owlman, but I just wanted to say that the surprising thing about "almost" is that it isn't "all." Later in the article, he'll talk about the neutrinos that don't pass through.

kentix

English - U.S.
    "But more on that later" is a common phrase in writing or speaking when presenting information. It means I will discuss that aspect in more detail later but I don't want to be distracted from the current topic now, which is different. In this case, the writer adds "almost" to the phrase to make it clear which other topic he will be going into more detail on later. If the topic referred to is clear, you can leave it out but if it's ambiguous you can add it.

I'm going to tell you about my birthday party. One unusual thing about it was where it was held, but more on that later. Right now I want to talk about who planned it.

It's not necessary to put "but more on that location later." in this sentence because the reference is clear.

< Previous | Next >