but not actually go all the way to the venue

< Previous | Next >

minhduc

vietnamese
Hi all,

Please tell me does the person who said this sentence agree to go the venue or not? It's from Love letters by Katie Fforde.

"I don't mean I'll cross the Irish Sea and reach England but not actually go all the way to the venue, which is more or less what happened last night."

Thanks

• Myridon

English - US
    We need more context to be sure what is happening.
    It seems to me that the trip outlined in the first part of the sentence is a invented analogy to "what happened last night", i.e. no one is going to "the venue" because this is just a hypothetical example. Last night, someone made a very large effort in order to do something, but then didn't do it which is like making the effort of crossing the sea to another country but not going to the final destination.

minhduc

vietnamese
    Here is the context: The man is a writer who is attending a festival in his village in Ireland. The girl wants to invite him to her festival in England. So that she came to see the man's events. Last night the girl agreed to do something with the man but she thought better of it at the last minute. And this conversation happens in the next day.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >