But she also felt that Mick was <hardly> making a display of selflessness

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 74, Chapter Five) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Michaelis helped Clifford make a display by writing Clifford into one of his plays. He succeeded carrying him and Connie away. Then he went to Connie's room, saying that he wanted to marry Connie and that Clifford doesn't know anybody's existence.……)

‘……He(Clifford) doesn’t know that anybody exists, except himself. Why the man has no use for you(Connie) at all, as far as I (Michaelis) can see; he’s entirely wrapped up in himself.’

Connie felt there was truth in this. But she also felt that Mick was hardly making a display of selflessness.

I feel the blue sentence is a little strange in logic. And I suspect hardly is a typo for simply/actually.
And if it's really simply or actually, the but seems to have to be changed into and.

How should I understand this sentence please?
Thank you in advance
Error corrected

Last edited:
  • velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Michaelis here is talking about Clifford.

Connie thinks that Michaelis himself is not being unselfish, any more than Clifford is.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    "hardly" here means "not actually/exactly" making a display of selflessness - so he was not being selfless, he was being selfish.
    See this definition:
    hardly 2. Probably or surely not: He is hardly the kind of guy you would want to date. It's hardly a secret that they are engaged.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thanks for your reminding. I have corrected the error.

But I can't find the comparative meaning, any more than Clifford is.

Connie felt there was truth in this. Clifford was indeed being selfish. This implies that Mick thinks himself not guilty of being selfish.

But she also felt that Mick was hardly making a display of selflessness. But she also felt that Mick was not being selfless either.

He was no more selfless than Clifford was=they were both selfish.

< Previous | Next >