but surely as determined

< Previous | Next >

Aryana

Persian - Shiraz
Hi! Dear friends!
Can you help me about the following passage? It is about a king called 'Abbas, living nearly 400 years ago. the Sentences written in bold are problematic. I am not sure about what I have guessed about its meaning :

His economic interventionist policies and deliberate mix of business and government heralded a political economy in tune with the European state mercantilism of his age. Perhaps not as systematic as the English or Dutch, but surely as determined, by around 1600, when 'Abbas seriously embarked on building the new capital, he had already laid the foundation for a new economy.
Thanks very much.

• Aryana

Persian - Shiraz
    What do you guess the meaning to be?
    but, 'Abbas who was surely determined, by around 1600 seriously embarked on building the new capital, he had already laid the foundation for a new economy.
    I have guessed something like above.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    No. You have split the sentence wrongly:

[Perhaps [his system was] not as systematic as the English or Dutch [system], but it was surely as determined,] and by around 1600, [which was the time when 'Abbas seriously embarked on building the new capital], he had already laid the foundation for a new economy.

Aryana

Persian - Shiraz
    No. You have split the sentence wrongly:

[Perhaps [his system was] not as systematic as the English or Dutch [system], but it was surely as determined,] and by around 1600, [which was the time when 'Abbas seriously embarked on building the new capital], he had already laid the foundation for a new economy.
    Hi! Thanks very much. Your guidance was very troubleshooting for me. Tanks again.

< Previous | Next >