But they don't make 'em any more appreciative and so on.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "But they don't make 'em any more appreciative and so on." means in the following sentences:

"Only of course none of them have your finesse, you might call it. But they don't make 'em any more appreciative and so on. Come on! We're ready for you to boss us!”

- Sinclair Lewis, Main Street, Chapter 2

Carol was working as a librarian at St. Paul, and Kennicott was a doctor at a small town called Gopher Prairie. In love with Carol, he wanted to persuade her to marry him and move into his own town. So he was coaxing her listing all the names of the villagers, explaining that they were such nice and homey people, but that only they didn't have her "finesse," so she needed to come to the town and transform everything for them.

In this part, I could not understand in what tone and meaning he was saying that sentence.
How does that sentence relate to the fact that she was more tactful than the villagers in transforming the town?

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    "They don't make them... any more" is a set expression meaning "Nothing/nobody exists..." For example "They don't make them like your father any more" = People like your father are no longer manufactured = Your father is exceptional.

So in this case, "But they don't make 'em any more appreciative..." = but there are no people in the world more appreciative than them.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Keith Bradford,

Thank you so much for the explanation.
    So he was saying that his townsmen were the most appreciative people on earth.

But may I ask, how can I interpret the adjective "appreciative" here?
    Does the word mean that the townsmen have high standards and are aware of good things? Or that they are very thankful about whatever she would do for them?

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Keith Bradford,

Thank you very much for the additional explanation!
    So "appreciative" here means "thankful."
    I am very appreciative of your help. :D

< Previous | Next >