but this usage perhaps dilutes its impact

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
Does "but this usage perhaps dilutes its impact" in the text below mean "Walker's artworks' references to past poetry, art, history, recollection, and commentary in spite of their benefits decrease the impact of these artworks"?

Context:
Walker has expressed a debt to Paul Fussell’s The Great War and Modern Memory (1975), which problematizes his work.Walker’s work is a postmodern expression of war, with its references to past poetry, art, history, recollection, and commentary, but this usage perhaps dilutes its impact. To be good war art – to say something – and to connect with the viewer, war art has to be more than the sum of its parts, even in a postmodern world.
[Text extract from Art and War by Laura Brandon. DonnyB - moderator.]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • coiffe

USA
    American English
    This is a very poorly constructed sentence, and this phrase that troubles you is the worst part of it, so it's no wonder you are asking this question. "This usage" is a really sloppy reference to something antecedent, but the sentence is annoying. Postmodern writing, or writing on postmodernism, is usually much better than this. Is this a translation? It must be a translation. The first and last sentences of the paragraph are okay, but this particular sentence in the middle is not okay. In other words, I'm not sure how to answer your question. Probably it means that Walker's work, referencing poetry and art etc., dilutes its impact. But that's very unclear in the context given. Maybe a larger extract would shed more light.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    This is a very poorly constructed sentence, and this phrase that troubles you is the worst part of it, so it's no wonder you are asking this question. "This usage" is a really sloppy reference to something antecedent, but the sentence is annoying. Postmodern writing, or writing on postmodernism, is usually much better than this. Is this a translation? It must be a translation. The first and last sentences of the paragraph are okay, but this particular sentence in the middle is not okay. In other words, I'm not sure how to answer your question. Probably it means that Walker's work, referencing poetry and art etc., dilutes its impact. But that's very unclear in the context given. Maybe a larger extract would shed more light.
    So, do you agree with my interpretation above?

coiffe

USA
    American English
    I believe I answered your question, given the limited context, with "Probably it means that Walker's work, referencing poetry and art etc., dilutes its impact. But that's very unclear in the context given." Maybe if you give us more context (another few sentences or paragraph preceding this one, and following this one) we might have more clarity.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    With its extensive use of "references to past poetry, art, history, recollection, and commentary" (that's the "usage"), Walker's work is too diffuse to produce any real impact (its impact is "diluted").

Note: You should give clearer context (and source of course). I'm assuming that Walker's "work" is some kind of pictorial art.

< Previous | Next >