But what if I'm not ready to enter the world of work?

littleburgee

Hi all,

How would I go about translating the following into Italian?

"But what if I'm not ready to enter the world of work? What if my colleagues see me as a little girl?'

Here is my go...

"Ma se io non fossi pronta per entrare il mondo di lavoro? Se i miei colleghi mi vedessero come una bambina?"

Mille grazie :)

• Alxmrphi

UK English
    I don't think you don't need the subjunctive at the beginning.
    I am not sure but I will also give it a try:

"Ma cosa se non sono pronto/preparato per entrare nel mondo di lavoro? I miei colleghi, mi vedrebbero come una bambina/(bimba?)?"

Saoul

Italian
    "Ma se io non fossi pronta ad entrare nel mondo del lavoro? Se i miei colleghi mi vedessero come una bambina?"

Mille grazie :)
    Good job. Enter is not transitive in Italian. "You enter the world" in English but you "entri nel mondo" in Italian. To be ready for was maybe fine as "Essere pronta per" but "ad" sounds more natural, to me. The rest was fine.

Alex good try, but subjunctive is indeed the way to go here! :) You both got wrong with "di lavoro". It's "del lavoro", but I see that having expressions like "incontro di lavoro", "giornata di lavoro" and similar expressions, this might be somewhat tricky. :)

Last edited:

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Ok even in the second sentence, is that correct as well?
    Also, what about the lack of a translation for 'what', is it just ommited?
    And finally why the imperfect subjunctive instead of the present tense? (if I am not..), actually I am aware of imperfect subjunctive used to translate the present, but here it looks weird.

"Se leggessi...." (If I were to read..)

Hmm, is this imperfect subjunctive used to have the same idea that "What if.." gives us in English? I'm quite confused now, thanks for the other corrections, duly noted:)

On reflection this post is really confusing, maybe it might be easier to ask for an overview on the subjunctive and why it is used here rather than trying to answer one of my specific questions, it might be better for everyone.

Saoul

Italian
    Alex, don't be confused. It is a lot easier than what you think, actually, nipotino sbronzo.

What if I go...
    E se andassi...

The "what if" translates into a simple "E se..." + imperfect subjunctive.

The "what" is not omitted. (Double T just one M, Shakespeare! :))
    The "what" in Italian wouldn't mean a thing. :)

And yes, the imperfect subjunctive gives the same vague idea of doubt of "What if".

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Alex, don't be confused. It is a lot easier than what you think, actually, nipotino sbronzo.

What if I go...
    E se andassi...

The "what if" translates into a simple "E se..." + imperfect subjunctive.

The "what" is not omitted. (Double T just one M, Shakespeare! :))
    The "what" in Italian wouldn't mean a thing. :)

And yes, the imperfect subjunctive gives the same vague idea of doubt of "What if".
    Dovresti scrivere un libro:p
    Grazie tante bisnonna.

< Previous | Next >