but what thy thirty zecchins may yet escape

< Previous | Next >

nkaper

russian
Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott

Thou art an honest fellow,” replied the robber, “I warrant thee; and we worship not St Nicholas so devoutly but what thy thirty zecchins may yet escape, if thou deal uprightly with us. Meantime render up thy trust for a time.” So saying, he took from Gurth's breast the large leathern pouch, in which the purse given him by Rebecca was enclosed, as well as the rest of the zecchins, and then continued his interrogation.—“Who is thy master?”

I fail to understand the part in bold. It's again that archaic use of 'but' , but here I completely at a loss to get it. Could anybody help? Thanks in advance.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    “I warrant thee; and we worship not St Nicholas so devoutly but what thy thirty zecchins may yet escape, if thou deal uprightly with us.

but what subject verb [object] = that subject not verb.

“I warrant thee; and we worship not St Nicholas so devoutly that thy thirty zecchins may not yet escape, if thou deal uprightly with us.

1761 F. Sheridan Mem. Miss Sidney Bidulph I. 45 "There are not many masters of eminence but what have a hundred originals palmed upon them more than ever they painted in their lives."
    "There are not many masters of eminence that do not have a hundred originals palmed upon them more than ever they painted in their lives."

Zecchin - a gold coin

nkaper

russian
    “I warrant thee; and we worship not St Nicholas so devoutly but what thy thirty zecchins may yet escape, if thou deal uprightly with us.

but what subject verb [object] = that subject not verb.

“I warrant thee; and we worship not St Nicholas so devoutly that thy thirty zecchins may not yet escape, if thou deal uprightly with us.

1761 F. Sheridan Mem. Miss Sidney Bidulph I. 45 "There are not many masters of eminence but what have a hundred originals palmed upon them more than ever they painted in their lives."
    "There are not many masters of eminence that do not have a hundred originals palmed upon them more than ever they painted in their lives."

Zecchin - a gold coin
    Many thanks! So simple

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It might be worth noting that St Nicholas is the patron saint of repentant thieves, so "we worship not St Nicholas so devoutly" means "We are still thieves"

Barque

Tamil
    I suspect that here St. Nicholas might be looked upon as the patron saint of thieves, rather than repentant thieves, because the speaker says they don't worship him so devoutly that they wouldn't let go the chance to get the thirty zecchins.

< Previous | Next >