But when possible we go to the theater together and sometimes just to eat or drink something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PutinsBear

Banned
Russian (bearish)
But when possible we go to the theater together and sometimes just to eat or drink something. <-----Example sentence added to post by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Does it make sense to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Did you write this sentence yourself, Putinsbear? If so, in what situation (context) would you say it? If not, where did you find it? Which word or phrase in the sentence most concerns you?

PutinsBear

Banned
    Russian (bearish)
    Did you write this sentence yourself, Putinsbear? If so, in what situation (context) would you say it? If not, where did you find it? Which word or phrase in the sentence most concerns you?
    Yap, as for this one, I just made it up. To put it differently, "But, when possible, we go to the theater together - and sometimes we do that just to have something to eat or drink."
    I would like to know if the sentence makes sense. In my opinion it does even though the context is not quite clear but in fact this sentence is part of a bigger one and when writing it I considered it a part of some discussion that could possibly happen between , let's say, two persons. When you take phrases out of conversations, it's often hard to understand what they mean without knowing the context but on the other hand, reading them you understand that they sound natural which mean they may well be said by native English speakers.
    That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Myridon

English - US
    But when possible we go to the theater together and sometimes just to eat or drink something.
    This sentence doesn't parse well. We would try to match the "to"s but they don't fit.
    We go to the theater together. "to" means "to a place"
    We go to eat or drink something. "to" means "for the purpose of"
    "But, when possible, we go to the theater together - and sometimes we do that just to have something to eat or drink."
    "That" is a pronoun which refers to something in the context. The thing that you "do" in the context is "go to the theater together" so your sentence seems to say:
    We go to the theater together and sometimes we go to the theater together just to have something to eat or drink.
    I think you don't mean that you go to the theater for the food and not the movie.
    (Yup and Yep are casual variations of yes in English. I'm not familiar with "yap" though.")

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >