but which time and Nazi disillusion...would doubtless erase

< Previous | Next >

Aryana

Persian - Shiraz
Dear All! Help!!!
Who can help me about the following passage? The words in bold are problematic:
"However, if Hitler were to attack, the wave of Germans flooding into the region would not be the benevolent commercial and technical missionaries Persians had grown used to hosting. They would now come ruthlessly, as conquerors, with guns and tanks and sinister black uniforms, with an unquenchable thirst for Abadan oil, and with an ideology that superficially lauded the pure Aryanism of the Persians but which time and Nazi disillusion with systemic Persian pragmatism, corruption, and indolence would doubtless erode, ushering in a terrible new era of racial intolerance"

For more clearity, I have written the whole passage. It is from this book:

Nazi Secret Warfare in Occupied Persia (Iran): The Failure of the German Intelligence Services, 1939–45
Adrian O’Sullivan

Thanks very much.

• The Newt

English - US
    The Germans arrived with an ideology that superficially lauded the Persians as fellow "Aryans," but the ideology eroded over time because of two factors:

1) The passage of time
    2) Disillusionment on the part of the Nazis caused by their encounters with systematic Persian pragmatism, etc.

Aryana

Persian - Shiraz
    Hi!
    Thanks very much, but the phrase “but which time and Nazi disillusion with systemic Persian pragmatism” and grammatical rules governing it are ambiguous for me.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    but which time and Nazi disillusion with systemic Persian pragmatism, corruption, and indolence would doubtless erode,
    The clause is difficult to read because it gives the verb phrase, "would doubtless erode", two subjects, joined by "and",
    with one of them consisting in a single word, and the other being a noun phrase of nine words, as you can see in the bold print above.

< Previous | Next >