but with admirable judgment in the teaching part

enkidu68

turkish
Hi folks, this is cited from Colonel Jack, by Daniel Defoe (1722)
Context: One of Colonel Jack's slaves begun to teach him Latin and religious things.
Question: it seems to me that the part " but with admirable judgment in the teaching part" is not relevant to the first part of the sentence. I wonder can we say "He not only taught me Latin by speaking but with a good teaching quailty?"

I was now a planter, and also a student. My pedagogue I mentioned above was very diligent, and proved an extraordinary man indeed. He taught me not only with application, but with admirable judgment in the teaching part; for I have seen it in many instances since that time that every good scholar is not fitted for a schoolmaster, and that the art of teaching is quite different from that of knowing the language taught.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    This is a "not only ... but also" construction, even though the word "also" is not used.
    He taught with application -- he worked hard at it, with close attention, concentration, and persistent effort.
    He exercised good judgment in the actual teaching, the way he delivered the material, adjusting his style to how I responded to it.

The basic idea is that he not only knew his stuff, but also knew how to teach.

< Previous | Next >