But's

< Previous | Next >

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Good morning everybody!

Just one simple question, in some thread a forist, wrote "You might find it in some texts, but's uncommon"

Is that "but's" correct?? I just find it odd.

Thank you very much.

• philomniglot

English
    But's uncommon.
    = but that's uncommon
    = but that is uncommon
    or
    = but it's uncommon
    = but it is uncommon

a contraction of a contraction!
    we likes to make things more easier

duder

USA/English
    philomniglot said:
    But's uncommon.
    = but that's uncommon
    = but that is uncommon
    or
    = but it's uncommon
    = but it is uncommon

a contraction of a contraction!
    we likes to make things more easier
    You might be able to deduce that sort of thing from the context, but I am pretty sure that this usage is not accepted outside of certain, very informal circles (or to transcribe a particular dialect). I had never seen or heard it before now, and it sounds pretty bad to my ears.

Occasionally one might use "but's" to pluralize "but", as in the examples here:
    http://iws.ccccd.edu/cobb/errors.html
    http://www.uccs.edu/~wrtgcntr/handouts/mechanics.html

I should note that I am not sure if I agree with the rule that you should use apostrophes to pluralize words that don't normally have plurals - for example, I think that saying "I bought some new CDs" is perfectly acceptable.

Markus

Canada - English
    If someone said that phrase in spoken English, I would understand it perfectly fine as "but it is uncommon". However, I have never seen that written before and it looked extremely weird to me!

lauraleina

America - English/Chinese/Russian
    does she mean the word But is uncommon, or but It is uncommon? I guess if it was the former, it'd make sense.

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Artrella said:
    Good morning everybody!

Just one simple question, in some thread a forist, wrote "You might find it in some texts, but's uncommon"

Thank you very much.
    Hey Art GF;
    No it is not correct...It is not a contraction..and is used in the wrong context...
    The only time I have ever seen it is in the context of..'no and's, if's or but's about it'...when the words are in plural form..and that is even argued about.....some say should be....ands, ifs, buts....
    Also used in spoken English not written...
    te gato;)

daviesri

USA English
    Artrella said:
    Good morning everybody!

Thank you very much.
    But's shoud be but it is or but it's

Either lazy or a mistake.

< Previous | Next >