butt of the joke

Discussion in 'English Only' started by gdg68, Apr 20, 2011.

1. gdg68 New Member

English - United States
    What word is there for someone who is (consitently) the butt of the joke? I'm looking for a single word to describe a person who is regularly the butt of jokes - but the person is not a "rube" or someone who is unintelligent. The person is smart and outgoing -but outgoing to the point that they are annoying, and therefore end up being the butt of jokes.

I'm looking for a word that implies that they are setting themselves up for this derision.

2. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    A laughingstock?

3. gdg68 New Member

English - United States
    Laughingstock I feel implies too much that the person is a bufoon/idiot. I am thinking of using "patsy". From a theater perspective, this person is called the "fall guy", and I was looking for a better synonym for "fall guy" - as patsy usually implies a crime as opposed to a joke.

4. benjamin duncan

benjamin duncan New Member

english
    I was looking for a similar term and couldn't find one. Usually in this situation I invent my own term. How about a "Cliff Claven?" In reference to the famous cheers character.

5. cando Senior Member

English - British
    That would mean nothing to me. I don't think "Cheers" is that famous.

6. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    To the extent that he is famous, the character Cliff Claven is known as a "know-it-all," not as the butt of anyone's jokes.