Butter me up or smooth over me?

< Previous | Next >

Elix29

Italian
Hi! Which is the better option to complete this phrase:

Stop trying to ________. I'm still angry at you and I won't do it.

Butter me up or smooth over me?

• Chasint

English - England
    I think is smooth over me because the context is a quarrel but I'm not sure.
    That is wrong for two reasons.
    1. It isn't an idiom whereas 'butter someone up' is.
    2. Grammatically it is incorrect. It would have to be 'smooth me over' rather than 'smooth over me'.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    However, you can smooth a problem,or difficulties over, in which over is an adverb as part of a phrasal verb = to remove a difficulty. (Note that the verb is usually separable.)

Colonel: The negotiations have stopped. The rebel chief is very angry that our men shot his brother.
    President: Hmm... we need someone who can smooth things/matters over with him.
    Colonel: I suggest we send Giuseppe: he ls loyal to you and grew up in the same village as the rebel chief. We should tell him that his injured men can be evacuated, that should smooth things over - he didn't like his brother, anyway.

Chasint

English - England
    To sum up:

To smooth things over. :tick: (to make a situation more peaceful)

To butter someone up. :tick: (to compliment or flatter someone in order to gain something from that person)

To butter things [over]. :cross:

To smooth someone [up]. :cross:

taraa

Persian
    To sum up:

To smooth things over. :tick: (to make a situation more peaceful)

To butter someone up. :tick: (to compliment or flatter someone in order to gain something from that person)

To butter things [over]. :cross:

To smooth someone [up]. :cross:
    Thanks a lot :):)
    Is "smooth" always with "over"?

< Previous | Next >