"butter tea"?

< Previous | Next >

Azalea

Bulgaria
Dear Friends,
Can you please help me with the meaning of this phrase: "butter tea"?
Someone told me that it is a blend of black tea, milk, butter and salt... Is it possible to drink such a disgusting drink... If yes, from where originally come from? And is there any other names of this drink?
Thank you in advance!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Tibetan butter tea , po cha, is the most typical Tibetan drink. People who know about Tibetans know what po cha tastes like. In Tibet many people drink it all day long because it heats them up.

CLICK HERE for recipe and directions to make your very own po cha.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    GenJen54 said:
    An interesting side note, the butter used in po cha typically comes from the yak, which is part of the bovine family.
    I was thinking of making this point myself, Gen. I've heard the butter is aged way beyond the point we do in the West-- well, now that I think of it, real butter is probably illegal in the U.S., along with real cheese. We have salted butter right off the assembly line, and drink "beer" that is stamped, by law now, with a pull date.

"Fresh" beer? The ads on TV actually gloat about that concept, comparing their rinsewater favorably with that "skunky" Heinecken stuff. (Linguistic note: my incorrect use of "stuff" here for a liquid is reported speech. As I don't speak TVese, I'd refer to that variety of "beer" Heinecken exports here, or manufactures in country, as "that Heinecken shit.")

There's a widespread aversion in most eastern and southeastern Asian cuisines against inoculated, soured and/or aged milk products. I can't really remember fresh milk being part of the culture (npi) I grew up in, in the mid-50s. Possibly they dedicate milk to the raising of meat, as nature intended. Anybody know?

< Previous | Next >