butterfly chasers


New Member
Hello, I am an artist and have made three metal women sculptures that are designed to be chasing butterflies as their location will be a butterfly conservatory. I would like to call them "butterfly chasers" but was thinking of naming them in a different language. If you could please let me know how "butterfly chasers" translates into other languages that would be so helpful! Thank you.
  • German: Schmetterlingfänger (plural is identical).

    This is the male form which once was considered "both male and female", but with PC this isn't so clear any more nowadays.

    Therefore, here the female German version: Schmetterlingfängerin (plural: Schmetterlingfängerinnen).
    In Greek:

    «Κυνηγός* πεταλούδων**»
    /cini'ɣos peta'ludon/
    lit. "hunter of butterflies"

    *«Κυνηγός» from the Classical masculine noun «κυνηγός» (kŭnē'gŏs) and more common, «κυναγός» (kŭnā'gŏs)--> lit. hound-leader metaph. huntsman, hunter. Compound, masculine noun «κύων» ('kūōn)--> hound, dog (PIE base *kwon-, dog) + verb «ἄγω» ('āgō and in Modern Greek 'aɣo)--> to lead (PIE base *ag-, to drive, draw out or forth, move).
    **For the etymology of «πεταλούδα» see here
    I think a modern Chinese translation may be tedious, but it sounds nice if you use the classical Chinese -zhe suffix (there's no equivalent of -er in Chinese): 追蝶者 Zhuidiezhe (She or he who chases butterflies).

    Pili-palas/Glöynnod byw (Lit. 'live embers')/Glöynnod Duw (Lit. 'God's embers')/ Ieir bach yr haf (Lit. 'little hens of summer')