buy a lot of character

Mi trovo di fronte a questo contesto: """""""ROME — Name another golf community that shares its heritage with the Etruscans or was once a battlefield for medieval noblemen whose families produced a Who’s Who of popes. But wait, it gets better.
The Olgiata, as this tangle of woodland is called, has been invaded by barbarians. It was traded among families, put up for auction and given as a wedding gift.
Once flax was abundant here, as were barley and oats. In the 20th century, Olgiata was the home of the immortal racehorses Nearco and Ribot.
Three thousand years of history buys a lot of character.""" Come può essere efficacemente tradotto "...buys a lot of character."? …...Tremila anni di storia fanno acquisire molto fascino? …...

• stez

english - australia
    The English itself is flawed - history doesn’t buy anything, money does.

rrose17

Canada, English
    I think your translation makes sense. To me "buys a lot of character" means all those years of history have created an incredibly interesting place. I think it's fairly obvious that the writer is trying to maintain a very colloquial, joking manner (But wait, it gets better).

macforever

Italian
    Mi viene in mente la frase Rome wasn't built in a day, che restituisce vigore a quel ragionamento. Mi sembra che, come dice Stez, quel "buys" faccia in qualche modo capire che la città è diventata così bella e importante grazie anche al flusso di denaro che c'è stato nel corso dei millenni.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    One of the meanings of ‘buy’ is to acquire. It doesn’t necessarily have to be with money. We often talk about buying someone’s love or affection, for example. In this context it simply means that a lot of character has been acquired over the thousand years of its existence.

macforever

Italian
    Sono d'accordo con voi. Il verbo acquisire è perfetto perché onnicomprensivo. Con i soldi o senza, ci sta benissimo.

ohbice

italiano
    Non riesco a farmi piacere quel "fanno acquisire". Preferisco un semplice "Tremila anni di storia donano un gran fascino".
    Ed è già troppo letterale per i miei gusti :)

merse0

Italy - Italian
    My try:
    "Tremila anni di storia (le) conferiscono un fascino straordinario".
    (le) perché si riferisce all'Olgiata.

< Previous | Next >