buy my merch / merch

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
A subscriber asks a YT blogger advice on how to make new "friendlings". He replies:
-- My advice to making new friends in new situations, genuinely, not in a 'buy my merch' way is merch! Buy merch for things that you love like YouTubers or bands or Taekwondo or K-Pop. Because other people who like those things will see you and identify you and latch onto you, like, I want to be your friend because we like the same thing. So for example the t-shirt that I made is this because it's a really nice way of advertising (???) 'I like YouTube and I like that Luke guy' but at the same time it just looks like you're wearing a shirt with a hair on it. You're like a giant billboard for friendship!

Here's that T-shirt "with a hair on it":vlcsnap-2017-03-02-16h48m48s303.png (click)

I understand the 1st and 3rd merchendise here most likely means this:
things you can buy that are connected with or that advertise a particular event or organization
And the 2nd is probably a verb and means this:
to sell something using advertising, etc.
But I still don't understnad the whole thing, what it means in this context. What particular merch he's talking about?

"To buy merch for things that you love" -- what does that mean?

Thanks.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Not the greatest example of Eglish but what do you expect?

Buy merch for things that you love like YouTubers or bands or Taekwondo or K-Pop.

Seems rather obvious that it means merchandise that advertise/are inspired by YouTubers, bands, TaeKwonDo, K-Pop etc.

I don't know this because I'm a native speaker (it is not proper Enlgish) but because I used logic and eliminated other possible meanings - if you but that kind of "merch" others will see you like the same things they do and they will therefore "latch onto you".

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Not the greatest example of Eglish but what do you expect?

Buy merch for things that you love like YouTubers or bands or Taekwondo or K-Pop.

Seems rather obvious that it means merchandise that advertise/are inspired by YouTubers, bands, TaeKwonDo, K-Pop etc.

I don't know this because I'm a native speaker (it is not proper Enlgish) but because I used logic and eliminated other possible meanings - if you but that kind of "merch" others will see you like the same things they do and they will therefore "latch onto you".
    Thank you!
    And how do you understand this:
    My advice (...) not in a 'buy my merch' way is merch!

I mean -- not in a "buy my merch" way.

pob14

American English
    He's saying "I'm not saying this just to get people to buy my merch, I'm suggesting that you buy (someone's) merch to show off your preferences."

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    He's saying "I'm not saying this just to get people to buy my merch, I'm suggesting that you buy (someone's) merch to show off your preferences."
    Ah, I see. And one question -- do I correctly understand that this T-shirt with the hair he's wearing in the picture -- is his merch which he's selling?

< Previous | Next >