Buy oneself out

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
*I'm harping on military terms, as you must have noticed....I need an example of this expression since in neither of my dictionaries is there any(?)
(buy oneself out) obtain one's release from the armed services by payment.
I'd appreciate your kindly help. :D

• dave

UK - English
    An example of to buy oneself out:

Although John had joined up for six years, he soon became disillusioned with army life and so bought himself out after three years.

Does this help?

Artrella said:
    I need an example of this expression since in neither of my dictionaries is there any(?)
    .. since there aren't any in either of my dictionaries
    .. since there isn't one in either of my dictionaries

jacinta

USA English
    You can buy yourself out of the military???? I didn't know this was possible. To buy yourself out means literally to give money in exchange for interest or commitment. In other words, to extracate oneself from a business, one would pay money.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    jacinta said:
    You can buy yourself out of the military???? I didn't know this was possible. To buy yourself out means literally to give money in exchange for interest or commitment. In other words, to extracate oneself from a business, one would pay money.
    Hola Jacinta- I think it is illegal today, but during the U.S. Civil War, it was possible to buy oneself out of the mandatory conscription for military service.

However, I don't believe that in the U.S., it was ever legal to abbreviate a service commitment by payment.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    dave said:
    An example of to buy oneself out:

Although John had joined up for six years, he soon became disillusioned with army life and so bought himself out after three years.

Does this help?

.. since there aren't any in either of my dictionaries
    .. since there isn't one in either of my dictionaries

Thanks Dave for your corrections. My mind went blank when I was writing that mail and I just couldn't make head nor tail of what I wanted to say. Now it's very clear to me! And yes! yours is a sheer (?) meaningful example! I think I'll use it if a question about this appears in my test. Later, A. :p

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    jacinta said:

Jacinta, what does "extracate" mean? :confused:

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    A-

extricate ['ekstr?ke?t] verbo transitivo sacar (con dificultad)
    **** to extricate oneself, lograr salirse [from, de]: she couldn't extricate herself from his grip, no podía liberarse de sus manos
    -- Source: Diccionario Espasa Concise © 2000 Espasa Calpe

C

Focalist

European Union, English
    jacinta said:
    You can buy yourself out of the military???? I didn't know this was possible.
    Yes. This is from voluntary service in the British Army, when someone has "signed up" to serve a number of years but changes his or her mind at a later date. The sum of money is to compensate the Army for its "wasted investment" in training, etc. -- so it's quite analagous to buying oneself out of a commercial contract.

Example sentence: I bought myself out of the Army in 1991 for £200.

F

cuzican

AMERICA/ENGLISH
    try looking on a search engine under military terms and abreviations.

it will come up with several sites concerning this .

If not I will ask my Navy buddies.

< Previous | Next >