1. BryanCr7Know

BryanCr7Know Senior Member

United Arab Emirates
    Español - Colombia
    Buenas:
    El contexto es de unos tipos jugando vídeo juegos y la novia de uno de ellos llega y toca a la puerta y sus amigos le dicen a él: Did you invite her? This is a guys place, you can't invite her. / I didn't invite her / you didn't invite her? / No / That's worse! / OK, well I'm gonna buzz her in / Don't buzz her in!...etc... Dicen lo mismo.

Bien, me pregunto por qué usan "Buzz", ¿Lo normal no sería decir "let her in"? ¿O es esto ya algo usado, simplemente? Saludos.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
  2. eliot 96801 Senior Member

English (USA)
    In some apartment buildings there is an exterior door to the building, with an intercom system for all the apartments. You can press the button for the apartment you want to reach and speak with them over the intercom. They can then press a button inside the apartment that will momentarily unlock the exterior door so that the visitor can enter the building. The visitor hears a buzzing sound (un zumbido) while the button is pressed to unlock the door. So "buzzing someone in" is a way to say this particular type of letting them in. "I'm gonna let her in" would work just fine, but "I'm gonna buzz her in" is more specific to this type of situation.

3. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
    Excellent explanation by eliot. Although dejarle entrar may not convey the additional meaning of buzz -- "con el sistema remoto que abre la puerta con un botón" -- I think it's a more understandable option.

4. gato radioso Senior Member

spanish-spain
    We call that intercom system "portero automático" in Spain at least.