buzzing in her noggin

< Previous | Next >

Puellam audiam

Taiwanese, Mandarin
Hi, everyone!:)

Here is another question.

She may be a lady of letters, but opposites attract, and who knows? This very different guy just may come in handy if she gets around to writing that ultrafamous and beloved novel she's got buzzing in her noggin.

Can someone kindly explain to me the underlined part:'come in handy' (does that suggest she obtains the man?),'gets around to (writing)'
and 'buzzing in her noggin.'

Thanks for your kind attention!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "buzzing in her noggin'" means something like "going round and round in her head."
    Noggin = head.
    Buzzing = going round and round :)

You know the way thoughts, concerns, worries, plot themes, essay ideas, can dominate your thoughts? Those things are "buzzing around in your noggin" :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Come in handy.
    Something that comes in handy is something that turns out to be extremely useful. A sink plunger is not going to be essential every day, but it will certainly come in handy if some idiot has managed to block the drain with chicken fat.

Aud Duck

English--United States
    get around to:
    I might say that I have been meaning to write a paper for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. That would mean that I intend to write the paper, but have not actually written it. I will "get around to it" when I actually sit down and write it.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It might be worth adding that a noggin can mean a small cup, and by metonymy, be used to mean a little drink, probably of something strong. 'That underused resource' (quote from Panj.), the WR dictionary, surprisingly doesn't yet mention this meaning.

In your example, Puellam, the word clearly means head, as has been explained.

Milander

Hungary, English
    I always thought that the phrase 'a buzzing in the noggin' was slightly derogatory. As it suggests that bees have the space to fly around (buzzing) inside the empty space of her head (noggin) suggesting that the person is stupid.

Aud Duck

English--United States
    I've never heard anyone use the phrase "a buzzing in the noggin," but it is not quite the same. If you have a buzzing in your noggin, you may, indeed, have very little brain and a lot of space in your head. However, to have ideas buzzing in your noggin implies that your brain has a lot in it. I associate it with the phrase "abuzz with activity," like a room that's full of people having discussions.

< Previous | Next >