BV Advocacy Center

CRR

Spanish - Paraguay
Hi,

I work for a no-profit advocacy center. We are all advocates, none of us is an attorney and we do not provide legal representation or services.
We are trying to translate our name which is “BV Advocacy Center” to Spanish
My coworker thinks that the translation in Spanish would be “Centro de Abogacía BV”.

I think that “Abogacía” refers to the legal profession, to the act of attorneys practicing law, and that it could lead some people to believe that we are a Law firm or that we do provide legal services.

My coworker’s logic is that “abogar” is to advocate so “Abogacía” is Advocacy.

Can anyone help us settle this debate?

Thanks,

Carmen

• rocioteag

Español / México
    advocacy ['ædvəkəsɪ] nombre apoyo

I think that your translation could be "Centro de Apoyo BV"

Attorney is abogado (I think):rolleyes:

Hope it helps

calista

Uruguay - Español
    hi, Carmen ... "Abogacía" do refers to legal profession exercised by an attorney ... "advocacy-advocate" refer to defend, the defense lawyer ... "abogar" is other meaning of "advocate" similar to "defend" but is something like "in favour of" ... this is my opinion, hope this helps

calista

Uruguay - Español
    in order to be more clear:

advocacy - defensa
    to advocate - defender / abogar (to be in favour of)
    attorney - abogado
    defence lawyer/attorney - defensor or defensor legal

This is only to tell you the Spanish names ... good luck

Camilo1964

Spanish - Venezuela
    Hi Carmen:

I understand that all advocates in the center do not represent any client in court or render any other kind of legal services. But, you did not make clear for us which is the purpose or objective of the center and that is a very important fact in order to choose the right word to denominate it.

I think (as a lawyer that I am) that a possibility is Centro de Asistencia Jurídica o Centro de Consejería Legal. Please, remember that in Latinamerica we are all abogados although we do not appear before the court in the name of our clients.

Kind regards,

Camilo

CRR

Spanish - Paraguay
    Thank you all for your answers!!

Camilo,

I hope this explanation helps.

I work for a non-profit that provides shelter, counseling, and advocacy (including legal) to victims of domestic violence, we are located in the New England area.
    As legal advocates we go to court and we do appear in front of the Judge whenever a client wants to address him/her, they can’t appear with out us. We represent the victim’s wishes, act as a bridge between the prosecutor and the victims, explain the victims their rights and advocate for those rights to be respected. However, we do not represent them (no tenemos personería), we can’t give legal advice, we can't file or help them file petitions, and our legal advocacy is limited to domestic violence criminal cases. It is very important for our clients to understand that we are not attorneys, that’s why I think we can’t use “Centro de Abogacía” because it can create some confusion.

I hope this explanation helps. Thanks for your answer

Camilo1964

Spanish - Venezuela
    Dear Carmen.

What an excellent service that you and your co-workers render for all those victims!

I am going to give you the perspective of a venezuelan lawyer even though all of you practice in England, assuming that you are trying to find a denomination easily understandable by any native spanish speaker.

My attempts:

Centro (Unidad, Oficina) de Asistencia Jurídica (Legal) a la(s) Víctima(s)

Centro (Unidad, Oficina) de Apoyo Jurídico (Legal) a la(s) Víctima(s)

In the University where I used to teach, right here in Caracas-Venezuela, there is a center in charge of funtions pretty similar to BV Advocacy Center's and its denomination is Clínica Jurídica.

Another option could be Centro (Unidad, Oficina) de Defensoría de la Víctima o Defensoría de la Víctima.

When you translate advocacy literally in spanish you get Abogacía, but for us that is the profession of the lawyers (abogados, because we do not distinguish among lawyers, attorneys, counselors or advocates and we call all of them abogados) or the sum of all lawyers of a city, a state or a nation (for instance: la abogacía venezolana, la abogacía de Caracas, la abogacía latinoamericana) and not precisely the kind of service that your center render for the victims.

I hope this information can be helpful.

Kind regards,

Camilo

gualicha

MEXICO-SPANISH
    Abogacia sería correcto si ustedes tuvieran abogados trabajando en su centro pero como este no es el caso entonces yo diria "Centro de asesoria juridica" asistencia no.
    asistencia es asistir como asistir a un evento

1. assistance no es asistencia, es asesoria,ayuda
    2. conviction no es conviction, es condena
    3. Fatal is not fatal, es mortal

these three examples of false cognates

Camilo1964

Spanish - Venezuela
    Abogacia sería correcto si ustedes tuvieran abogados trabajando en su centro pero como este no es el caso entonces yo diria "Centro de asesoria juridica" asistencia no.
    asistencia es asistir como asistir a un evento

1. assistance no es asistencia, es asesoria,ayuda
    2. conviction no es conviction, es condena
    3. Fatal is not fatal, es mortal

these three examples of false cognates
    Hola Gualicha:

Como modalidades de ejercicio de la abogacía en sistemas influidos por el Derecho Romano (como el venezolano, y quizás esto se salga un poco del tema), los abogados podemos asesorar a un cliente y asistir a un cliente, siendo cosas totalmente diferentes, razón por la cual de alguna manera se crean nuevos significados técnicos.

Se brinda Asesoría cuando se da un consejo u opinión profesional que ha sido requerida. Se da Asistencia a un cliente cuando se concurre, junto con él, ante un Tribunal para brindarle la capacidad de postulación ante un Tribunal (ius postulandi), requerida todavía en muchos sistemas jurídicos como una condición de acceso a la administración de justicia.

Esta última acepción de Asistencia Jurídica no es la usual del sustantivo Asistencia, sino totalmente propia del vocabulario técnico y, muy probablemente, limitada al ejercicio profesional del Derecho en este lado del mundo. Para denotar la Asistencia como comparecer a un evento, en el marco específico del lenguaje jurídico, se suele utilizar la palabra Comparecencia.

Cordialmente,

Camilo

P.S. Para el caso del consultante original tu sugerencia es más que acertada, dado que los integrantes del mismo no son abogados y no tienen representación del "cliente".

David

Banned
    We are all advocates, none of us is an attorney ...

You have got yourself into a pickle that often turns a little sour when dealing with the term advocacy. As you can see above, people who work in the Roman law system find it difficult sometimes to understand that advocate as a verb or noun used in the present-day political context in English, does not refer so much to legal work as it does to publications, communication, public education, (often non-partisan, for tax reasons) political work, etc. I realize that litigation, asistencia jurídica or comparencia as expert witnesses, etc., might occur as part of your work, but that it is not your sole or main focus.

The only word I know for advocacy that does not involve the practice of the legal profession is propugnación, but I fear that it is a word little used and would have implications of repugnación, hardly what you would want to convey. According to la RAE,, "abogar. (Del lat. advocāre) [...] 2. intr. Interceder, hablar en favor de alguien", but even so, the term is not usually understood that way, as all the helpful suggestions above indicate.

I suggest you consider an alternate name that would more effectively convey in Spanish what you want to do, rather than knocking yourselves out hunting for an exact and non-ambiguous term for "advocacy." The usual sort of expression, using pro (not por) would be something like Comité Pro Derechos de los Traductores, Unión Boliviana pro Damnificados de la Guerra en Iraq, etc.

Of course since abogar does mean hablar en favor de alguien your colleague is right from a dictionary standpoint, but from the point of view of public relations or communicating your message, you might do yourselves a disservice by using the term "abogacía."

SpProf1

USA English/Spanish
    Well, I suppose this thread is of some comfort to me because I have run into the same problem and, though I have researched it thoroughly, have yet to find an exact translation for "advocacy" or "advocate" (as a noun rather than a verb) defined as "the act of defending, supporting, promoting or maintaining a cause, proposal or the interests of another" or the person doing so. Unfortunately, although the word "abogar" closely matches the definition of the verb in English, the noun forms do not.

tillymarigold

US
    US/English
    I would usually use "Representante Legal" for the role of appearing in court to represent someone's viewpoint but I like "Centro de Asistencia Jurídica" or maybe even "Centro de Apoyo Legal".

For the noun "advocate" I usually turn it around, like "victims of domestic violence need advocates" "las víctimas de la violencia doméstica tienen necesidad de alguien que abogue por ellas" but that's in a more general sense, not the specific sense the OP is using.

Dani California

Spain, Spanish
    Yo creo que, según los casos y el contexto, el término "advocate" podría traducirse como: representante (a secas, pues hablar de la representación legal ya entra dentro de la órbita del contrato de mandato), como defensor, intercesor, consejero o prohombre.

Bilma

USA
    Spanish Mexico
    I understand the word and I use it.

I was just thinking about the average Spanish speaker in United States who would not understand the word. In any case we would need to know who the translation is directed to.

sunrise25

Banned
    Argentina
    Hi,

I work for a non-profit advocacy center. We are all advocates, none of us is an attorney and we do not provide legal representation or services.
    We are trying to translate our name which is “BV Advocacy Center” to Spanish
    My coworker thinks that the translation in Spanish would be “Centro de Abogacía BV”.

I think that “Abogacía” refers to the legal profession, to the act of attorneys practicing law, and that it could lead some people to believe that we are a Law firm or that we do provide legal services.

My coworker’s logic is that “abogar” is to advocate so “Abogacía” is Advocacy.

Can anyone help us settle this debate?

Thanks,

Carmen
    As an attorney in my country, I can tell you that the right word you are looking for is Defensoría. Advocacy means Defensoría in Spanish.

Centro de Defensoría BV

To advocate for something means defender in Spanish
    An advocate for equal opportunity employment: un defensor de la igualdad de oportunidades laborales.

sunrise25

Banned
    Argentina
    As an attorney in my country, I can tell you that the right word you are looking for is Defensoría. Advocacy means Defensoría in Spanish.

Centro de Defensoría BV

To advocate for something means defender in Spanish
    An advocate for equal employment opportunities : un defensor de la igualdad de oportunidades laborales.

borgonyon

Mexican Spanish
    La verdad que todavía no estoy claro como debería de traducirse advocacy. Por advocate, he usando propugnar por mucho tiempo, como señaló David. Pero para advocacy encuentro que ayudar, abogar no siempre cuadra. P. ej.: Civil Society role has to be included in advocacyEl papel/la función de la sociedad civil tiene que ser incluído en [¿en qué?: asistencia, intercesión, propugnación, defensoría].

davi09

Peru, Spanish
    I think you are going way beyond the meaning of advocate and advocacy. What I understand is that it does not have to do anything with lawyers. An advocate is simply someone that publicly supports a particular idea or way of doing things. My friends is a manager of an advocacy group and she didn't study to be a lawyer. She studied Social Services. I was also looking for a translation of the word advocacy group. But I think I would go with grupo de apoyo.

borgonyon

Mexican Spanish
    I think you are going way beyond the meaning of advocate and advocacy. What I understand is that it does not have to do anything with lawyers. An advocate is simply someone that publicly supports a particular idea or way of doing things. My friends is a manager of an advocacy group and she didn't study to be a lawyer. She studied Social Services. I was also looking for a translation of the word advocacy group. But I think I would go with grupo de apoyo.
    Pero grupo de apoyo es support group, no advocacy group. Para mi como que no son la misma cosa.

Qt3st

Chile-Spanish
    Este foro me parece muy interesante. Llegué hasta acá porque necesito ayuda con la palabra "advocacy". Estoy trabajando en mi proyecto de traducción, con un libro llamado "prostitution, sexuality and law in the ancient Rome". ¿Cómo debo traducir la palabra "Advocacy" en este párrafo?:

"Advocacy" in this sense is best construed broadly. The praetor could decide to take into account the request of one or both parties in his construction of the formula, the stereotyped set of instructions to the finder of fact (iudex) that defined the issued to be decided".

Last edited by a moderator:

melliott

English-U.S.
    I realize that this is an older post, but just to clarify the assistence vs. asistencia issue, this is copied straight from the RAE. When you look up <<asistencia>>, you get:

~ jurídica.

1. f. Der. Servicio que los abogados prestan a las personas que precisan de sus conocimientos jurídicos para defender sus derechos.

litiga8or

Rainy Oregon! USA
    I suggest you not use abogar or its derivatives. It might be confusing and cause the public to believe, wrongly, that your group is providing legal advice. I suggest you use the word "victim" to help clarify your role. In addition to finding the best Spanish translation, you probably want to protect yourselves from potential charges of unlawful practice of law or misleading the public. You've got the Bar to worry about, in addition to your clients.

Best wishes in this great endeavor! How I wish there had been organizations like this years ago, when I needed them.

< Previous | Next >