by a smart way or in a smart way

yuxi24

China,Chinese
Hi,everyone,
Could you please tell me which sentence is right:
1) You should change your boss in a smart way.
2) You should change your boss by a smart way.
Thanks.

• Kuyt

America, English
    Number #1 is correct.

Or you could say, You should change your boss smartly.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hi,everyone,
    Could you please tell me which sentence is right:
    1) You should change your boss in a smart way.
    2) You should change your boss by a smart way.
    Thanks.
    What are you intending to say?
    Do you mean change your job - or perhaps you mean change the way your boss behaves?

emma42

British English
    Yes, it's unclear what you want to say.

Changing something "smartly" is not the same as "changing something in a smart way". The former means "quickly/without delay", while the latter means "in a wise/prudent/sensible way.

Neither sentence sounds particularly idiomatic. There are more idiomatic ways of saying the same thing.

emma42

British English
    Right, I understand now.

I would say, You need to be smart if you want to influence your boss's behaviour OR If you want to [try and] change your boss's behaviour you need to be smart.

I would not like to use "You should change your boss's behaviour" because no one can actually change the way someone else behaves - they can influence, persuade, manipulate, which is changing in a way, but to use "change" like this just doesn't sound right to me. Other people may disagree.

If you really want to use "in a smart way", I would say You should try and change/need to influence your boss's behaviour in a smart way, but I do think that my suggestions above are more idiomatic.

I hope I have understood your question.

< Previous | Next >