By age 85

hailept

Vietnamese
Meaning 5 in this link shows that it means "not later than/ before": by_1 preposition - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

but quite often, i see it used with the meaning of "at"

So what exactly does it mean here?

"About 25% of people in the world are born with one copy of a gene, called APOE4, that is linked to a higher risk of developing Alzheimer’s. About 2% to 3% of the population has two copies of the gene — one from their mother and another from their father — that dramatically increases their risk for the disease. About 60% of those people will develop Alzheimer’s by age 85."

Source:
These Non-Drug Methods Could Help People With Alzheimer's, Study Suggests

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "By age 85" means "at age 85 or before age 85".

"Not later than" is also correct,but "before" isn't: it is "at or before".

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In this context, I would say it does mean "before". The idea is that by the time they reach the age of 85, they will have developed the disease.
    I reckon that "age 85" is to be understood as a point in time here, not the one-year period between their 85th and 86th birthdays. In this sense, you can't develop something "at age 85", because you can't develop it in a moment. Development takes time.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    In this context, I would say it does mean "before". The idea is that by the time they reach the age of 85, they will have developed the disease.
    I reckon that "age 85" is to be understood as a point in time here, not the one-year period between their 85th and 86th birthdays. In this sense, you can't develop something "at age 85", because you can't develop it in a moment. Development takes time.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >