by any chance

ullas84

turkish
1)Can I ask your name by any chance?

is it possible to express the idea of the sentence above with the following sentence?

2)what is my chance about asking your name?

Are sentence 1 and sentence 2 both idiomatic , if yes, which one is more naturel?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I'm sorry, but it's hard to understand what you want your sentence to mean. Please tell us, using other words, what you are trying to say.

ullas84

turkish
    is it possible for me to ask your name?

Do I have any chance?(for learning your name)

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    This type of hyper-courtesy doesn't translate well across cultures. "Is it possible for me to ask your name?" is the best of the four options you've presented. In general, we'd be more likely to ask "What's your name?" or, much more formally, "May I ask your name?" Informally, it's common simply to say "I'm Yolanda," and look at the other person in a friendly and expectant way.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    1)Can I ask your name by any chance?
    This is very formal (or said ironically) and probably would be "Could I ask your name by any chance?"
    is it possible to express the idea of the sentence above with the following sentence?

2)what is my chance about asking your name?
    No. That is not what it means at all.
    "By any chance" is really an idiom - it is an apologetic manner of saying "please" - and is usually used where a request is made of a stranger for him/her to help you or do you a favour, especially if helping or doing the favour will inconvenience him/her.

"I'm sorry to have to ask you, but could you, by any chance, help me carry these suitcases to the train?"

lingobingo

English - England
    By any chance is a good idiomatic expression, but it would not be used in the context of asking someone their name.

Typical uses:

You haven’t by any chance seen my keys, have you? I can’t find them.​
    Would you by any chance be able to give me a lift/ride to the station in a minute?​

< Previous | Next >