...by capitalised first alphabet

Eugin

Senior Member
Argentina (Spanish)
Hey! Another question about this Supply Agreement:
How do you interpret this phrase in this sentence: "All terms as defined in this Article shall be identified by capitalised first alphabet, if intended to convey the meaning ascribed anywhere in this Contract"?

Do I have to think that you have to initialize every page with my first letter in Capital Letters or does it mean something completely different?? :confused:

I really appreciate (and love) your insightful points of view... so... here I remain waiting for them!!! ;)
 
  • VenusEnvy

    Senior Member
    English, United States
    Eugin said:
    Hey, you! :D

    Eugin said:
    How do you interpret this phrase in this sentence: "All terms as defined in this Article shall be identified by capitalised first alphabet, if intended to convey the meaning ascribed anywhere in this Contract"?
    What?!?! Eugin, I hope I'm not alone when I say that this phrase is completely confusing. I have no idea what this means. I would think it should say, "[...] by a capitalized first letter [...]".



    I'd like to see if anyone else can crack this one! Ufh!
     

    Eugin

    Senior Member
    Argentina (Spanish)
    thanks girl!!!! so nice to have you here!!!:D

    I hope the same as you, Nick!!!! someone else to shed light on this one! :eek:But, as I said in my other post, bear in mind that this agreement was written in Singapore.... could that one be the reason of this misunderstanding?????:confused:
     

    VenusEnvy

    Senior Member
    English, United States
    Eugin said:
    But, as I said in my other post, bear in mind that this agreement was written in Singapore.... could that one be the reason of this misunderstanding?????:confused:
    This is competely possible. A possible confusion in the original translation? Let's wait for other opinions, chica.
     

    rel

    Member
    English
    I'm not sure either but could it be it just means that you should write all those "terms" in capital letters?
    Without seeing the document I don't know what "All terms as defined in this Article" refers to specifically but, for example, if I get a leaflet from the bank to tell me they've updated the conditions of my account or something, in the text there are usually certain words in block capital letters (Eg. "BANK WORKING WEEK", "YOUR ACCOUNT", "US", etc,) and then in a seperate section those terms are defined individually.
    Maybe it could be something like that...
     

    Kelly B

    Senior Member
    USA English
    Here is my wild-assed guess (I sincerely hope nobody starts a thread on that. It means I'm not sure what I'm talking about. Sometimes it's abbreviated WAG or SWAG: Scientific....)

    The aforementioned Article you are talking about defines some terms, right? It sounds like it. I think those terms should be capitalized throughout the contract. So something like "the first company involved in this mess, hereafter identified as the Provider...." would mean that Provider is supposed to be capitalized everywhere it appears after that.

    Or maybe not.
     

    Eugin

    Senior Member
    Argentina (Spanish)
    Kelly B said:
    Here is my wild-assed guess (I sincerely hope nobody starts a thread on that. It means I'm not sure what I'm talking about. Sometimes it's abbreviated WAG or SWAG: Scientific....)

    The aforementioned Article you are talking about defines some terms, right? It sounds like it. I think those terms should be capitalized throughout the contract. So something like "the first company involved in this mess, hereafter identified as the Provider...." would mean that Provider is supposed to be capitalized everywhere it appears after that.

    Or maybe not.
    Kelly,
    you mean capitalize with the meaning as the definition Nº 4 in this link?

    Please, confirm me this, please! and then I do not ask anymore!! (At least not related to this agreement.... :eek:)

    THANKSSS!!!
     

    panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I'll come at this question from the side if I may.

    It would be quite normal for a contract to have a section where terms used in the contract are defined. This could include terms like "the Client", "the Provider" ... and an apparently endless list ...

    Through the rest of the contract, any time the word Client appears with an initial capital letter, it refers to the definition in this section. If it does not have an initial capital letter, client, then it means what the dictionary says:)

    The phrase "capitalised first alphabet", is weird. It either means that the first letter should be capitalised or that the entire word should be capitalised - either Client or CLIENT. I have seen both used (in different contracts).

    You should be able to tell which it means by looking at the rest of the contract.
     

    Eugin

    Senior Member
    Argentina (Spanish)
    yes, Panj, at the beginning of the contract there is an article named: "Definitions & Interpretations", where all of the terms are stated. But these terms are only capitalized with the first letter of each word.
    Then, Do I have to assume that this means that the First letter should be capitalised?

    Thanks for the clarification, Master!!!!!!!
     

    panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If the original capitalises the first letter of the terms in the definition section and in the contract, then it is almost certainly OK for you to do the same.
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top