By default

Brazil, Portuguese
It was never clear to me its meaning, and I cannot find something about it on the internet. What does it mean?

Would you be so kind as to explain it to me and put a few sentences with it?

Thanks. :)

• USA --- English
    Something that is chosen or selected automatically. An option that is present unless you change it.

Web browsers (like Internet Explorer) will have a default web page. That's the web page that opens up when you open Internet Explorer. Unless you change it, every time you open Internet Explorer, the default page is going to open.

So to use the phrase by default in that situation... "When I open Internet Explorer, Yahoo.com opens by default."

JeffJo

USA, English
    I'd say dhunterp is right for the word "default," itself. Also, the phrase "by default" can be used as he said.

Also for the phrase "by default," oh.....

'The Brazilian team won by default when the American team didn't show up.'

'The Brazilian chess player won by default, when the Russian champion got sick and could not continue.'

The phrase "by default" implies there's no opposition in a game or a contest. A competition was expected, but it didn't happen, for some reason.

Brazil, Portuguese
    Ok, look what I found on the internet, it's a code for a game.

"Hold LK + LP (A and B by default) and do an uppercut"

What does it mean?

Thanks.

timpeac

English (England)
    Ok, look what I found on the internet, it's a code for a game.

"Hold LK + LP (A and B by default) and do an uppercut"

What does it mean?

Thanks.
    I would guess that it means that unless you have reconfigured your games console "LK" will be activated by key "A" and "LP" will be activated by "B". In other words those actions are assigned to those keys "by default".

river

U.S. English
    Default means failure to do someting required; neglect; negligence; failure to meet a financial obligation.

My aunt would have lost her case by default if she had failed to appear in court.

The farmer and is family were forced to vacate their property because they defaulted on their mortgage.

The Ding Bats must be on the field by 4 p.m. If they do not appear they will lose the game by default.