By drawing Germany.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I think the US will get into the eighth-final by drawing Germany.

I wonder if it sounds okay?

I am talking about the World Cup. And my understanding of “by drawing Germany” is to “draw with Germany”.

Thanks a lot

• mr cat

English - England
    ...by drawing Germany. Means they have been selected to play Germany.
    ...by drawing with Germany. Means they have drawn, (scored the same number of goals), the game.

Silver

...by drawing Germany. Means they have been selected to play Germany.
    ...by drawing with Germany. Means they have drawn, (scored the same number of goals), the game.
    Thanks a lot.

It should be like this: I think the US will get into the eighth-final by drawing with Germany.

Silver

Yes except that we say ...the final/last eight or quarter-finals by drawing with Germany.
    Thanks a lot. I don't know whether this question is fine to ask here since it will cause minor difference. I wonder if I should say "I think the USA/the US/USA will get into the eighth final by drawing with Germany.

If I need to start a new one, I will do that tomorrow.

Silver

I think that what Silverobama means by the "eighth-final" is the round that comes before the quarter-finals which is often referred to as "the round of 16."
    Good question. Here comes more details:

At that time, the US soccer team was still at the second of the table with Germany, Portuguese and Ghana. And there were 32 teams. So I said "The US" will get into the event by drawing Germany, the event refers to eighth-final, including 16 teams.

mr cat

English - England
    I think that what Silverobama means by the "eighth-final" is the round that comes before the quarter-finals which is often referred to as "the round of 16."
    Oh, in that case we in the UK say 'the last sixteen', for us 'the round of sixteen' would sound strange.

mr cat

English - England
    Good question. Here comes more details:

At that time, the US soccer team was still at the second of the table with Germany, Portuguese and Ghana. And there were 32 teams. So I said "The US" will get into the event by drawing Germany, the event refers to eighth-final, including 16 teams.
    Ok, first 'the US soccer team was still second in the table, behind Germany....'

The US will get into the last sixteen/round of 16 by drawing with Germany. You couldn't call a round an event, the whole world cup is the event.

'Round of 16' seems to be the official term used by FIFA.

Last edited:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    It's also common here in the U.S. to say that a team has made it to the "Sweet 16" when they reach the "round of 16" in a tournament.
    Hi, Grefsen, I wouldn't really recommend that for this context, since that is very specific to the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

For soccer, I'd use: round of sixteen.

EDIT: Cross-posted with mr cat.

Silver

Hi, Grefsen, I wouldn't really recommend that for this context, since that is very specific to the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Oh, I am confused. Should it be: I think the US will get into the round of sixteen by drawing with Germany.

Grefsen

English - United States
    'Round of 16' seems to be the official term used by FIFA.
    :thumbsup:

Even though "Sweet 16" was actually used quite a lot in World Cup articles last week, I agree that it would be best to use the official FIFA terminology. :)

Should it be: I think the US will get into the round of sixteen by drawing with Germany.
    I agree with mr cat that your sentence is correct as is, but I'm curious to know if this was a prediction you made before the U.S. played their World Cup match against Portugal on June 22nd?

After the U.S. - Portugal match had been played you could have instead written "The U.S. will advance to the round of 16 with a draw against Germany."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >