by faith

• dusan

Turkish
    Thank you for your prompt reply. it wouldn't then harm if I had paraphrased it as "a believer Turk", would it? :) Thank you again!

bennymix

Perhaps, "he became a believing Turk" would work. {alternatives: devout; religious?}

ADDED: I retract.

In light of Paul, below, "he became a devout Muslim" seems like the best rendering

CORRECTED:
    (stated earlier by Velisarius: 'become a Moslem').

Last edited:

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    It's a very odd sentence. It makes it sound as though he converted to becoming a Turk - that he wasn't born one but he became one. But I agree that the meaning surely must be "became a believer."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Now archaic, "Turk" was used as a synonym for Moslem: "1695 J. Collier Misc. upon Moral Subj. 136 He is a Christian at Rome, a Heathen at Japan, and a Turk at Constantinople."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Re posts #4 and #5, I don't think that "devout Muslim" or "believer" comes into it. As Paul says, it's just a way of saying that he gave up the religion he was born to and adopted the Muslim faith, possibly for practical reasons ("in desperation").

dusan

Turkish
    Thank you all for your further explanations and corrections! I'll now render it as "devout Muslim".

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    That would be incorrect: the translation of Turk is Muslim - there is no indication that he was devout.

"by faith" = as a religion. This meaning of by is as in: "He is a Muslim by faith and an Irishman by birth."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >