by getting him some lessons

Diddl

Italian -Italy
Salve a tutti,
sto leggendo delle lettere scritte da un uomo illustre del primo Novecento ad una sua amica (mi pare anche amante), ma ho un dubbio sul significato di "to get a lesson". la frase è la seguente:

Have you seen XX – what is he doing? Do try, if you can, to help him, by getting him some ... lessons – lucky you, who live in such different surroundings! Here life positively stagnates!

La mia traduzione:

Hai visto XX - come sta? Prova, se puoi, ad aiutarlo, DANDOGLI/ PRENDENDO DA LUI delle... lezioni - beata te, che vivi in un ambiente così diverso! Qui indubbiamente la vita ristagna !

In altri termini, non capisco se "to get a lesson" significhi essere docente o discente nel contesto di una lezione.
Grazie e buon pomeriggio

• rrose17

Canada, English
    Try to get him some lessons seems pretty straight forward, find someone to teach him, but impossible to know without more context what kind of lessons he's referring to. How old is XX?

Diddl

Italian -Italy
    Try to get him some lessons seems pretty straight forward, find someone to teach him, but impossible to know without more context what kind of lessons he's referring to. How old is XX?
    He's in his late forties or fifties, I think.
    Unfortunately, being a letter, there is no context. The writer is referring to something his friends knows of, but we don't. I thought the meaning could be: either that XX had tried to flirt with the writer's friend/lover (then the writer might be suggesting that she should "teach him a lesson") or that she should ask for XX's opinion about something (XX is a knowledgeable man) and learn from him.
    I can't really come up with anything else.
    Now that you make me think about it, the writer could be suggesting that his friend should find some female company for XX. Well, I don't know.
    Thank you anyway

rrose17

Canada, English
    either that XX had tried to flirt with the writer's friend/lover (then the writer might be suggesting that she should "teach him a lesson") or that she should ask for XX's opinion about something (XX is a knowledgeable man) and learn from him.
    I can't really come up with anything else.
    But it says "Do what you can to help him..." which seems far from "teaching him a lesson" or learning from him. Is the by getting him some ... lessons what's actually written or are there more words between some and lessons?

Diddl

Italian -Italy
    Is the by getting him some ... lessons what's actually written or are there more words between some and lessons?
    That's what is actually written. That's why I thought there was some irony there

Diddl

Italian -Italy
    But it says "Do what you can to help him..." which seems far from "teaching him a lesson" or learning from him.

Maybe the writer was just trying to say: help him to find a teacher. Who knows why those suspension points...