... by having his cattle draw along the ground ...

valdemar

Español mexicano
Hey everyone. I have this context:

... then he invented ropes, levers, and pulleys; he conquered and loaded the animal; he made the first sledge by haying his cattle draw along the ground long
branches bearing his goods
; he put logs as rollers under the sledge ....

(Durant,W.- The Story of Civilization V.1.)

The phrase I'm having problem with is the one underlined above. My question is whether the word "having" can be substituted by "making". Actually, to be honest I've never used this sort of construction before and it would be great if you guys could help me rephrase it and also, if possible, use that same construction by giving an example but with a different tense.

This is my attempt of using it in a different tense:

- I had the cattle draw from town to town every single day.
- If it was up to me, I would have had the cattle draw from town to town every single day.

Thanks in advance.

• sdgraham

USA English
    What are your cattle drawing? Without an object for "draw" it makes it seem as though the cattle are drawing pictures. ;)

The cattle in your quoted material are drawing "long branches bearing his goods;"

srk

English - US
    "Draw" in your context is a transitive verb, and in your rewrites, you are trying to use it as an intransitive one.
    From our dictionary for "draw":

1. to (cause to) move in a particular direction by or as if by pulling;
    drag: The horses drew the cart along.

Cross-posted

valdemar

Español mexicano
    Guys you're genius!! I feel embarrassed now. Anyway, just for completeness could you tell me if it's ok to use the verb "make" instead of "have". I know this is not the case in the actual phrase because of the redundancy of "made" and "make" but what about changing it a little bit:

He constructed the first sledge by making his cattle draw along the ground long
    branches bearing his goods;

< Previous | Next >