By how percentage are you satisfied by this interview?

< Previous | Next >

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
To what degree are you satisfied by this interview?​

As native speakers, can I replace the above highlighted fragment by the following one "By how percentage"

I need to use the word percentage on my sentence, I asked Arab forum members but I didn't get an answer regarding this specific part.

• owlman5

English-US
    "By how percentage" seems awkward and confusing to me, economistegypt2010. I much prefer this simple version : How satisfied are you with this interview?

Loob

English UK
    Why do you need to use the word 'percentage' here, EE?

Something like "how far?" or "to what extent?" would be much more natural in English:).

EDIT: cross-posted with owlman. I like his suggestion best of all:thumbsup:

owlman5

English-US
    People who want to quantify satisfaction sometimes use a question like this: On a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being not at all satisfied and 10 being completely satisfied, how satisfied are you with this interview?

People who have to answer such a question then respond with a number: 4.

Since you are an economist, you'll have the skills necessary to convert that number into a percentage: This respondent was 40 percent satisfied with the interview.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    To what degree are you satisfied by this interview?​
    As native speakers, can I replace the above highlighted fragment by the following one "By how percentage"

I need to use the word percentage on my sentence, I asked Arab forum members but I didn't get an answer regarding this specific part.
    If you are going to do a survey, you will need to be specific (and use a lot of words)
    How satisfied were you with the interview? (0 % = completely dissatisfied, 100%= completely satisfied).

You will still need to explain what you mean by "satisfied"!

Cross-posted with owlman - same message!

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
    How satisfied were you with the interview? (0 % = completely dissatisfied, 100%= completely satisfied).
    No, it is not a written survey. I'd like to make a face to face survey. Ask people questions and then note it down.
    If you are going to do a survey, you will need to be specific (and use a lot of words)

You will still need to explain what you mean by "satisfied"!

Cross-posted with owlman - same message!

Loob

English UK
    No, it is not a written survey. I'd like to make a face to face survey. Ask people questions and then note it down.
    Whether it's written or face-to-face, I like owlman's "On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you [were you] with the interview?"

That's exactly what I would expect to see - or hear:).

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    If you want to use the word percentage (which does not work in the present context), then you have to say: "By what percentage ... ".

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    How satisfied were you with the interview? (0 % = completely dissatisfied, 100%= completely satisfied)
    You can still ask the question verbally (whether the scale is 1-10 or 0-100%) but you will have to explain that you are asking for a number!

< Previous | Next >